• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Where I'm at... (looking for guidence)

Hello everyone,

So I'm a bit curious about my situation in regards to quantitative finance and where I should go from here. I currently am at a top public university for Applied Mathematics with a minor in Business. My applied math is mainly focused specifically in financial math, I am a junior and next year will be taking a masters level financial mathematics courses for my school's Financial Mathematics degree.. I have looked at the syllabus and will be going up to stochastic differential equations/ Feynman- Kac Thm. Then will be spending the remainder of the course applying what was learned to real life modeling applications (3 weeks)... currently I have some familiarity with C++ and am continuing to work on C++ when I can, and taking a free online course through Columbia, "into to financial engineering."

I'm wondering after such courses, what will I be missing that's featured in most Master programs (concepts, courses, ect.)? Also with what I'll know after graduation, will it be adequate for a very entry level position?

Thanks in advance to anyone who took the time to read this and, or respond!

as an undergrad, they usually put u into tasks like coding model, running simulation, researching pet project, and analyzing big data, etc. they expect u to learn anything u dont already know on the job relatively quickly. programming skills, enthusiasm towards quant finance, and simply being smart r the core qualities employees looking for from an undergrad.

i didnt go to grad school so i dont really know what materials r in the curriculum. but u can be proactively taking night or online classes to enhance ur knowledge along the way and eventually be able to know the models and market inside out (or pretend to know)

Back