• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Where to go from here?

First post here! I'm a student at the University of Queensland (Australia), studying a Bachelor of Advanced Finance and Economics. I chose this program as a school leaver as it seemed very quantitatively minded, which aligned with my strengths in school, and I wanted to pursue a career in finance. However after a few experiences on the job in traditional finance, I realised that I was looking for something more challenging and stimulating, and thus decided that I want to pursue a career as a quant. I already have some work experience in modelling futures and producing forecasts using AI which I found fun - I plan to return to this job over the remainder of my degree as an intern to improve my knowledge.

After a bit of research, I have realised that my degree, while covering stats and econometrics (ECON1310, ECON2300, ECON3350), doing some interesting maths (ECON2050), and offering me electives (which I will use to pursue computer science or mathematics subjects), does not fit the traditional quant mould.

Other relevant information is that the degree is 4 years long - I have already completed more than half of it.

What recommendations would you give to improve my chances to become a quant? Would my experience on the job over two years at the firm previously mentioned suffice to break in, or will I have to completely switch degrees? Also let me know if I am allowed to link things, would be happy to link all of the things I have referred to.

Can you give course descriptions of one or two of those Econ courses? Or just list the names so we know what they are.

As far as I can tell, you seem to be doing alright, not sure what programs you should aim at though. You haven't listed any maths courses, or stat other than the name drop, so it is hard to evaluate what you know. On the other hand, if you have done work in futures modeling using AI you could be someone who picks up coding pretty quick which is a plus when you start this process (though I don't know what you really coded for this). Your job experiences are exactly what you need, but it is unclear what skills/knowledge you have in any discipline.

To improve your odds, learn math and stat thoroughly, read through some of the newer additions on the master reading list, and try ace an interview. Also continue coding. If you read around on here long enough you'll get an idea of where you are. Everyone on here is very helpful, from what I've seen.

You’ll probably have to do a masters in financial mathematics. I think UQLD has a program. But I know UNSW, USYD, UTS and Monash have one. Plus, those uni’s have masters of mathematics programs where you can take math/stats/derivative pricing classes anyway.

You’ll probably have to do a masters in financial mathematics. I think UQLD has a program. But I know UNSW, USYD, UTS and Monash have one. Plus, those uni’s have masters of mathematics programs where you can take math/stats/derivative pricing classes anyway.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

If you can post the courses you have done and still need to do, that would help us.

Back