• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Which companies blacklist people

I'm a sophomore with math and cs background and would love to try applying to quant trader/developer interns. However I'm not fully prepared and don't want my potential failure to affect my internship application next fall. I'm wondering how I can know the cool off period of different companies (e.g. Jane Street 1 year) since few put this information on their website. Also, do they only blacklist you if you fail onsite interviews or just any stage? And will my failure in one position affect another (within cool off period)?

Hey, i can't answer your question because frankly I have no idea but you should have confidence in yourself! Saying you will fail only increases your chances of failing! Work hard, and kick ass :)

I'm a sophomore with math and cs background and would love to try applying to quant trader/developer interns. However I'm not fully prepared and don't want my potential failure to affect my internship application next fall. I'm wondering how I can know the cool off period of different companies (e.g. Jane Street 1 year) since few put this information on their website. Also, do they only blacklist you if you fail onsite interviews or just any stage? And will my failure in one position affect another (within cool off period)?
search around the forum and PM a couple of the older accounts you find that have been in the industry. I'll let you find them. You'll probably get a better response that way. If this is a real problem, the people who know are probably more likely to tell you off of a public forum. I haven't heard of this, though I wouldn't put it past a company.

to ease your concerns, go for a run and then identify where you do believe your weakest areas are
you can post them here and we can help you devise a plan,

but after all trust yourself, you are probably very bright!

fwiw, while technical skills are important, I have been a manager for some years and there is more to that - the so-called soft skills are as well very important and some say you want somebody you could sit with in a 12-hour flight.

Back