• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Which exit date better for quant trader's reputation?

Which exit date better for reputation?

• Dec 2022

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sep 2022

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Started work Dec 2020. Have two potential exit dates before pursuing next opportunity: (i) Sep 2022 or (ii) Dec 2022.

i) - Will not have worked 2 years, which seems to be the gold standard; + will not look like a total idiot for leaving just before bonus (paid Feb 2023).

ii) + Exactly 2 years; - looking like an idiot leaving 2 months to bonus.

I don’t get why there is a difference between just less than two years and two years (or what this two year gold standard is meant to be in the first place). In good trading firms, outperformers are recognized and rewarded even early in their career and are incentivized to stay. Hopping jobs also means you need to prove yourself again.

Regarding bonus I would assume your offer is buying out (your expectation of) the 2022 bonus? Also not really clear to me why you stay on for months after you have the new offer which I assume pays more / has better career prospects as opposed to leaving now / much early into the fiscal year.

Last edited:
I don’t get why there is a difference between just less than two years and two years (or what this two year gold standard is meant to be in the first place). In good trading firms, outperformers are recognized and rewarded even early in their career and are incentivized to stay. Hopping jobs also means you need to prove yourself again.

Regarding bonus I would assume your offer is buying out (your expectation of) the 2022 bonus? Also not really clear to me why you stay on for months after you have the new offer which I assume pays more / has better career prospects as opposed to leaving now / much early into the fiscal year.
> For this particular scenario question assume worst case that buyout is not received.
> Reasons: getting projects finished, leaving on high note, having a more solid tenure. Money comes and goes, reputation does not.

Back