Which program is more focused on math/on computing

• Thread starter Thread starter Cham
  • Start date Start date
Hello all,
I am currently applying to mfe programs, but I have a question about a comparison between the several programs.
For instance, CMU seems to be very focused on computing.
Can someone who knows these programs well explain me which are more focused on math (theory) and which on computing?
Thanks a lot.

Not at all, it was an example. On the contrary Columbia "Math in Finance" seemed to be more "mathematical" to me.

"Mathematical Finance" is also more "mathematical", while "Quantitative Finance" will also be more "quantitative".

Yes and I want to know, in your opinion, between the famous MFE (Master in Financial Engineering), which is more mathematical and which is more "computational". Between Columbia MFE/CMU/Berkeley/Columbia Math in Finance/NYU Math in Finance/Baruch MFE, ...

Columbia's MSFE program is definitely more math than computational, as is its MAFN program.

Thank you for your answer. But do you speak about Columbia "Math in Finance" or about "Columbia MFE"?
And about NYU? It seemed to me that NYU Math in Finance and NYU-Poly are more "math" than the others? Am I wrong?

Both are very math oriented. MAFN is more mathematically rigorous, and MSFE is more of an applied style, but neither is very computationally/programming intensive. They both focus more on solving equations than programming (although I think Columbia is trying to be more balanced now in the MSFE program, but it has always been, and will forever be, a more mathematically oriented program than computational program. I don't know anything about NYU except that NYU Poly is not as good as NYU Courant.

CMU is less focused on computing than you would think. I was expecting a way heavier focus.
the program gives a very well-rounded education

Ok, thanks for your answers. I am afraid to be bad at programming. I only know R (a few) and I have taken a class about Python last year and I suffered a lot to have a little B.
I am afraid to be totally lost in programming classes, whereas I am confident in math. I want to learn programming skills, but I start with a Level=0. That's why I want a program in which the programming classes are "progressive".

I had very little programming experience when I was applying as well, but I took the C++ course offered here on Quantnet and jumped into the programming courses in my program with ease. As long as you finish the Quantnet course and take it seriously you should be fine in any FE program. Typically these MFE programs aren't setup for you to become a software developer anyway

Ok, I discovered this forum today, and I will take this C++ course. Is it free and how long does this course last for a beginner? What MFE program did you take? Thanks a lot!

Ok, I discovered this forum today, and I will take this C++ course. Is it free and how many time did you need to finish this course? What MFE program did you take? Thanks a lot!
It's not free, you can find out about it here: https://www.quantnet.com/forum/c-course-info.2/
It's 4 months but if you work hard you can do it more quickly than that, you can work at your own pace.
I'm currently at CMU in the MSCF program

Current CMU student here. There is certainly a lot of computing but it is maybe 20-25% of the whole program. There are 4 dedicated computing courses plus a bunch of other courses in which you will be using R etc.

Ok, thank you mhy. If other students in MFE want to write about their experience, it will help me a lot. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom