• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Why the price of a zero-coupon bond maturing at time T is e^{-RT}?

The following content is from OPTIONS, FUTURES,AND OTHER DERIVATIVES 9th by John C. Hull P87

where R is the zero rate for a maturity of T. The value of [math]R_F[/math] obtained in this way is known as the instantaneous forward rate for a maturity of T. This is the forward rate that is applicable to a very short future time period that begins at time T. Define P(0,T) as the price of a zero-coupon bond maturing at time T. Because [math]P(0,T)=e^{-RT}[/math],the equation for the instantaneous forward rate can also be written as[math]R_{F}=-\frac{\partial}{\partial T}\ln P(0,T)[/math]
My question is :Why the price of a zero-coupon bond maturing at time T is [math]e^{-RT}[/math].

It looks more like the spot discount rate in period T, rather than the price. Even if we were to make a connection to the price, it would look more like the present price rather than the price at time T

For example:[math]p_0 = 100*e^{-RT}[/math]

[math]e^{-rT}[/math] is the present value of a ZCB with face $1 which matures at time T. It is not the price at time T.

The price at time T of a ZCB with face $1 maturing at time T is $1. How much would you pay to receive $1 today? You'd pay $1.

The price today (time 0) is e^(-rT) by a no-arbitrage argument. Suppose the spot rate is r. Then if I deposit $1 in a bank account at time 0 then I will have e^{rT} dollars in that bank account at time T, assuming continuous compounding. Maybe an easier way to see that is to deposit e^{-rT} dollars in the bank account today. Then I'll have e^{-rT}*e^{rT} = $1 in the bank account at time T. So a ZCB paying $1 at time T must have current price e^{-rT} or else I could arbitrage between the ZCB and the bank account since they have the same payoff.

In general, the price at time t of a ZCB maturing at time T with face F is [math]F*e^{-r(T-t)}[/math].

The following content is from OPTIONS, FUTURES,AND OTHER DERIVATIVES 9th by John C. Hull P87

where R is the zero rate for a maturity of T. The value of [math]R_F[/math] obtained in this way is known as the instantaneous forward rate for a maturity of T. This is the forward rate that is applicable to a very short future time period that begins at time T. Define P(0,T) as the price of a zero-coupon bond maturing at time T. Because [math]P(0,T)=e^{-RT}[/math],the equation for the instantaneous forward rate can also be written as[math]R_{F}=-\frac{\partial}{\partial T}\ln P(0,T)[/math]
My question is :Why the price of a zero-coupon bond maturing at time T is [math]e^{-RT}[/math].

It looks more like the spot discount rate in period T, rather than the price. Even if we were to make a connection to the price, it would look more like the present price rather than the price at time T

For example:[math]p_0 = 100*e^{-RT}[/math]

When the curve is flat, forward equals instantaneous short.

Economically, zerobonds trade term yield or instantaneous forward.

[math]e^{-rT}[/math] is the present value of a ZCB with face $1 which matures at time T. It is not the price at time T.

The price at time T of a ZCB with face $1 maturing at time T is $1. How much would you pay to receive $1 today? You'd pay $1.

The price today (time 0) is e^(-rT) by a no-arbitrage argument. Suppose the spot rate is r. Then if I deposit $1 in a bank account at time 0 then I will have e^{rT} dollars in that bank account at time T, assuming continuous compounding. Maybe an easier way to see that is to deposit e^{-rT} dollars in the bank account today. Then I'll have e^{-rT}*e^{rT} = $1 in the bank account at time T. So a ZCB paying $1 at time T must have current price e^{-rT} or else I could arbitrage between the ZCB and the bank account since they have the same payoff.

In general, the price at time t of a ZCB maturing at time T with face F is [math]F*e^{-r(T-t)}[/math].
Thank you for your answer. I'm going to think carefully about your answer.

When the curve is flat, forward equals instantaneous short.

Economically, zerobonds trade term yield or instantaneous forward.
Thank you for your answer. I'm going to think carefully about your answer.

Back