• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

World Bank blog: "Expiring money, one whose value falls to zero after a specific date, is a monetary policy tool."

One of my friends at the NY Fed sent me this article series from the World Bank on the programmability of money. By digitalizing money, we might see a new technical feature made possible that forces people to spend their money before a given time.

Beyond the interesting content of these articles, I think the trend we are currently seeing is quite interesting. The dynamics regarding transactions and the nature of money are evolving: just this morning, Brazil's president was calling for BRIC'S move away from the dollar's dominance. Be it from the falling hegemony of the USD to the changing nature of legal tender, the upcoming years will be fruitful in financial opportunities.

From a modeling perspective, how would one model the value of this programmable money and its effects on the economy? Risks associated?

I thought I would share this as it is quite interesting and relevant to the quant space; enjoy the read!

Back