• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

1. Best route for grad school? and 2. How much do publications matter?

vro

Apologies if I come off as annoying. I'm currently a sophomore at a non-target state school majoring in Electrical Engineering. My GPA is a little above 3.00 for my major, and it's 3.1 cumulative. A little about my background:

* I conduct research in signal processing and deep learning, where I have to train and test deep neural networks to validate the results of my team's proposed unsupervised algorithm for brain network time-series clustering. The goal is to get published this fall by IEEE Signal Processing Society.

* I code in Python, R, C++, and Matlab, and I do independent research to the point where I've proposed a new optimization algorithm that's being reviewed by one of my professors

* I have numerous projects to show for my skills in machine learning, deep learning, and time-series analysis, including the testing results for the neural nets used in my research (I designed the architectures)

*Relevant coursework: Calc 1-3, ODEs, Linear Algebra, Applied Probability, Physics 1-3, Signals and Systems

*Currently independently learning: Stochastic calculus, stochastic processes, measure theory

All in all, I'm looking for advice on how to approach applying to grad school. My GPA isn't very strong, and I know my skills and projects won't make up for it. So I'm wondering if I should aim for more publications. I love research and I want to conduct more in artificial intelligence, signal processing, and even physics (statistical thermodynamics) for their applications in finance. For example, Brownian motion in the Heston Model and the Ornstein-Uhlenbeck process. What should I highlight? What is relevant? And do I stand a chance at the Top 15 or so CS PhD programs? Or should I study something else in grad school like statistics?

Last edited:
Back