• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

20 year old undergrad in need of career path advice

Hello QuantNet,

Disclaimer: Correct me about any incorrect information because I am just an undergrad novice student that found all this information online.

Who I am:
I'm a 20 year old undergrad junior graduating in may of 2017 with a bachelor's of science in mathematical finance with relevant coursework being: Calculus 1-3, Linear Algebra, Probability and Statistics, Differential Equations, Econometrics, Macro and Micro Economics, Principles of Investments, and Financial Modeling.
I have a very mediocre and arguably a very subpar gpa in this industry as a 3.3. However although not amazing, I am positive I can graduate with a 3.4-3.5 perhaps maybe even a 3.6. I am planning to study more after graduating with my bachelors degree but am conflicted whether I should go for a phd or a master's degree (personally am leaning more towards a master's). I would appreciate your guys' opinions.

What I want to do:
I have always an interest in math and business and when I found out math and business could be combined through the use of mathematical models and algorithms with financial concepts, I became obsessed with the idea and have been extremely passionate about becoming a quant ever since.

What type of quant do I want to be:
I understand there are many types of quants such as front office/desk quants, model validation quants, quant researchers, quant developers, statistical arbitrage quants, capital quants, and etc. I am just confused as to which specific quant I would fall under, given the description of what I am particularly interested that I am about to unveil to you.

My personal interests of what I want to do in the quant industry?
I did my own research and I think that I specifically fall under the category of a buy-side statistical arbitrage derivative trader quant role, but please correct me if I am wrong. I am interested in developing algorithms and models through a prototype language such as R or Python to predict the prices of securities; specifically derivatives. And I understand there are many areas of derivatives such as FX, equities, fixed income, credit, commodities, etc. However, I am not positive what area of derivatives I want to pursue because I'm not familiar about which area is growing, financially stable/safe, volatile, most paid, etc.

To further clarify my particular interest in this field in short, I want to be the quant who develops models to price or automate the trade of derivatives via a prototype scripting language ultimately so that the developers then translate my prototype language into a more optimal language. What is this type of quant called? Because I am almost positive "buy-side statistical arbitrage derivative trader quant" is not the correct name.

What school/Degree should I go after?
I have explained my background before and with that being said, what is realistic career path that I could follow regarding my future studies? I am leaning more towards a grad degree because I don't particularly want to stay in school for another 7-8 years for a phd. But I have heard most quants have phds. Is it taboo for a quant to be hired with a masters degree? What type of masters should I go for if I choose that route? Financial engineering, Mathematical Finance, Physics, etc? Is it realistic to even be looking at schools like NYU or Carnegie Mellon for a grad degree with a 3.5 if I do well on the GMAT?

This, was a loaded post and I understand. It's just that I am just extremely passionate about what I want to do with my future but at the same time in need of A LOT of knowledge and assistance. I hope you understand. I would love to hear individual opinions from you guys because I sure as hell am positive most people on this website know way more than I do.

Thanks again

As far as what you want to do and what you can pick up in school, I'd recommend you have a solid understanding of probability and statistics and being familiar with modern software engineering practices. Sure, if you're working in a bank with a head count of 10000 people, it might be the case that you implement models, and someone else implements the models in code. But if you're on the buy-side with a head count of say 10, you are implementing your own models and putting them into a live trading environment.

My personal opinion is that you don't need to be an expert in Real Analysis, but you should be familiar with the concepts of Stochastic Calculus.

Last edited:
Back