• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE 2010 GaTech vs. BU

JWH

I am a new member but I have been reading posts since I began the application process, and I have seen much discussion about the new BU program and why it was ranked better than GaTech in the 2009 ranking. I began the application process later than I would have liked, but I have been admitted to NCSU, FSU, GaTech, and BU.

I have narrowed down my choice to GaTech vs. BU. Neither school has given me any aid, however I get in-state tuition from GaTech. I am not afraid to take out a loan to go to BU if I believe I will benefit more from the Program (with regard to retention of necessary skills and job placement/salary). Please share your thoughts and knowledge about either program.

Expectation

My expectation is:

1. Exposure to the job market via professors and geographical location (Atlanta vs Boston's close proximity to NYC and/or Boston itself)

2. Upon graduation the ability to compete with other graduates from higher ranked schools.

1) When you go school in Boston, or Chicago, you are most likely to get a job in that market. The proximity is NYC is overestimate and it comes with overhead cost to you. Firms are cutting down on recruiting fee so it's less likely that you burden all the cost to compete with local NYC programs.
Cornell program has a third semester in NYC for this very reason.

2) See point 1.

You should talk to the programs and see the job profiles of their latest graduates, where do they end up.

I believe my real question is:

Why did the QuantNetwork rank BU one spot higher than GaTech on the 2009 rankings?

Any insight into the edge somebody perceived BU had over GaTech would be useful to me?

Back