• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UCLA MFE 2023 "Ask Me Anything" with the Executive Director of the UCLA Anderson MFE program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering among graduate programs can be an overwhelming process. I speak with many prospective students during this time of year and I encourage all of them to ask questions -- to the program, current students and recent alums, whenever possible. I want to be able to share answers to some of the most commony asked questions more broadly. On a related note, the UCLA Anderson MFE program prides ourself on prioritizing our students. This means we take the time to get to know all of our students and give them appropriate 1 on 1 attention and support. I'd like to extend a similar courtesy to our future students as well. Please let me know what's on your mind.

Hi! Thanks for the opportunity!
I submitted my application in the third week of January for Round 2 and haven't heard anything since then. I read on the FAQs page that the program follows a rolling admission policy. Can you please give an idea as to when i can expect to receive the result of my application?

Dear Patrick, if I'm going by your Quantnet name, I will check with our admissions team on the status. Do you want to send me an email with full context so I can pass along? I think I found you on LinkedIn but want to make sure it's the correct person. My email is alysa.turkowitz@anderson.ucla.edu.

Considering among graduate programs can be an overwhelming process. I speak with many prospective students during this time of year and I encourage all of them to ask questions -- to the program, current students and recent alums, whenever possible. I want to be able to share answers to some of the most commony asked questions more broadly. On a related note, the UCLA Anderson MFE program prides ourself on prioritizing our students. This means we take the time to get to know all of our students and give them appropriate 1 on 1 attention and support. I'd like to extend a similar courtesy to our future students as well. Please let me know what's on your mind.
Hi!
I am currently doing engineering from IIT Kharagpur, India. I don't have prior professional working experience and was involved in programming since college. My leetcode rating is 1900+. I haven't take up any financial course yet but have done Machine Learning MOOCS as well as university course. My GPA would be around 3.2 after my engineering. I wanted to know whether I will be given same opportunity as other candidates having work experience or will my chances be lowered for admission purpose.

Hey Alysa,
Thank you for doing this AMA. It's great to see more interaction between QuantNet members and officials from many top MFE programs. It's a hugely positive change for this site.
I know you became executive director recently. I remember the last ED was Elisa Dunn.
Just want to know what have you done differently since taking over and what is your plan to improve the program.

Hi!
I am currently doing engineering from IIT Kharagpur, India. I don't have prior professional working experience and was involved in programming since college. My leetcode rating is 1900+. I haven't take up any financial course yet but have done Machine Learning MOOCS as well as university course. My GPA would be around 3.2 after my engineering. I wanted to know whether I will be given same opportunity as other candidates having work experience or will my chances be lowered for admission purpose.
Dear name (?), first, I'd ask if you've joined for any of our admissions info sessions? That is a great opportunity to get a better sense of the expectations of our program. Our program views applications holistically. That means we take all aspects of your background into consideration and not just 1 thing. It is a plus to have work experience, but not a requirement. Check out our admissions info and upcoming sessions here: Events
I hope this helps. Whenever an applicant has any doubts, I typically recommend to apply. If you don't apply, your chances of getting in are 0%!

how many students with 0 full time work ex are admitted each year/ what percent? How are the career services of UCLA MFE?

I wonder if you get rejected form other UCLA programs. Can you still apply to the MFE program?

I am a Round 1 applicant. I received an email today that my interview and profile is still under review. The tentative decision date for R1 was today. Does that mean I am waitlisted? Or does it mean that my application has not been fully viewed yet?

I just recently received an email stating that my interview and profile is currently under review. I am eager and hopeful for the UCLA MFE program and a bit confused what the email means, as the decision deadline was today. Does it mean that I am waitlisted?

Did you apply for the 1st round? Anyway the ED of UCLA MFE is in this forum, so you can ask directly to her

Hey Alysa,
Thank you for doing this AMA. It's great to see more interaction between QuantNet members and officials from many top MFE programs. It's a hugely positive change for this site.
I know you became executive director recently. I remember the last ED was Elisa Dunn.
Just want to know what have you done differently since taking over and what is your plan to improve the program.

I wonder if you get rejected form other UCLA programs. Can you still apply to the MFE program?
If someone has been rejected by another grad degree program on the UCLA campus, they can request that that program transfer the application to our MFE program, but they would not apply again using a new application. However you cannot apply to two different grad degree programs during the same academic year. This is against the UCLA Graduate Division policy.

Last edited:
Hey Alysa,
Dear "TIgga". I'm curious if you are applying to programs? Are you a prospective student or alum? I'd love to know more about the context of your background so I can tailor what I highlight in particular. Yes, there have been many changes and this will help me tailor my response. Are you perhaps an alum or affiliated with UCLA Anderson MFE?

Last edited:
how many students with 0 full time work ex are admitted each year/ what percent? How are the career services of UCLA MFE?
Dear KT, thank you for your question. The majority of our students come into the program with anywhere from 1 - 3 years of work experience (and that can include an additive of internships). We have not seen this as prohibitive in securing successful post MFE employment. In fact, some employers prefer it when students are a bit more "green" so they are malleable to a new organization/role. I would say our career team and professional offerings are top notch! Did you have any specific questions in mind? We prioritize 1 on 1 attention and support every step of the way. I believe that, plus our business school advantage, is what makes our program strong and our students thrive.
See more here: Career Impact

Last edited:
I am a Round 1 applicant. I received an email today that my interview and profile is still under review. The tentative decision date for R1 was today. Does that mean I am waitlisted? Or does it mean that my application has not been fully viewed yet?
Thank you for your interest. It means your application has not been fully reviewed yet. Good luck!

I'd like to also add an important factor that applicants should know. If you are accepted into a school and they have offered you any type of funding, they should not ask/expect you to commit to a decision prior to April 15th. There is a resolution among graduate schools in the US that this is the agreed upon deadline across programs in an effort to not put applicants feel pressured to commit. Please note that this deadline ONLY applies when you also receive funding with the offer. If any schools are asking for before April 15th under those conditions, you should contact the admissions office with this information.

Last edited:
I just recently received an email stating that my interview and profile is currently under review. I am eager and hopeful for the UCLA MFE program and a bit confused what the email means, as the decision deadline was today. Does it mean that I am waitlisted?
I received that email a few hours ago too. It’s just an update they sent since the “tentative” decision release date is 1 march. I think they released a majority of decisions after this date last year too.

I received that email a few hours ago too. It’s just an update they sent since the “tentative” decision release date is 1 march. I think they released a majority of decisions after this date last year too.
Hang tight and you'll hear decisions in the next few weeks as the team powers through the applications. Thank you for your interest and application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back