• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

21 MFE application advice

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and need some advice/opinions on my 22 MFE application (I apologize for the erroneous 21 in the title, which seems impossible to edit).

Here is my profile:
BBA in ACCT from a university in China (2010-2014), GPA 2.52;
MS in Applied Econ & Fin from UCSC (2017-2018), GPA 3.47;
TOFEL 104; GMAT 790 (took in 2016);
TOFEL 115; GRE 335 (took this Jan);
CPA designation; CFA III candidate;
2 years work experience in China as an accountant;
1.5 years work experience in the US as an accountant;
1-year working experience in the US as a web developer & financial analyst;
(All of the experiences are from small firms.)
Advanced Javascript user;
Intermediate Linux & Python user;
Learning C & C++ now;
(Coding has always been a hobby of mine. I started to systematically learn it from Udemy in 2020 after I decided to quit accounting)

I understand that top-tier FE programs are highly competitive and that an undergraduate GPA of 2.52 would be a critical problem. My graduate GPA of 3.47 is also not good enough. With regards to these concerns, I have the following questions:
1. Do I have a chance for the UCB MFE program?
2. If not, which programs/schools should I aim at?
3. I already took undergraduate calculus, probability, statistics, ODE, PDE courses, but considering my abysmal undergraduate GPA, should I took the same courses again (to achieve better results)?
4. Which courses are more helpful for the application, MOOC or local college online courses?
5. What could I do to improve my profile, efficiency-wise?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Last edited:
Back