• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

2nd BSc v Part-time courses

I'm an Economics and Econometrics graduate from a redbrick in the UK. I'm interested in getting into an MFE in one of the schools in the US. I don't think the ones here are that good in comparison.

I have a problem that I'm lacking a lot of the technical background. I have not covered most of perquisite courses in my first degree. I have done no programming as part of my coursework (though that's not to say I don't know any languages myself) and the only math courses I took were to supplement mathematics used in economics and econometrics.

My question is, if I wanna get into an MFE, would it be sufficient that I enroll in part-time math and computing courses for the next 2-4 years? Or should I need to get a second degree majoring in Mathematics or Computer Science to stand a chance.

Also, would I be disadvantaged because so much of my math background would come from outside a degree? And what sort of institution/school should I be looking at for part-time courses, what would put more weight in an application?

If you target MFE programs in the US, it may make better sense to get a MS in Math/CS from a US university while researching different MFE programs.
Many of the top MFE programs are in the Northeast, NYC area so it's beneficial to study in the area.

For a list of programs with tuition, location, duration, take a look at
Financial Engineering Program Selector - Quant Network
QuantNetwork Wiki

Slim - Just my 2p's worth (I'm not a Quant either, but studying the subject).

You can do courses with LSE via the London International programme as well. This will allow you to work and study part time (they offer a graduate route as well) and is a good option open to you if the cost of doing another undergrad in the US is prohibitive.

You could get a job as a software developer in the UK and say take a Math course via the UoL International programme and take software development modules.

I did it the other way i.e. did an Software Engineering course, work as a developer in the day and I'm studying Banking and Finance, with a concentration on the Maths side of things, in the evening.

At least doing the above you can save some money up towards to MFE, and take some long vacation weekends to fly over to NYC, visit one of the colleges on an open day, speak to staff etc.

As I said I'm not a Quant though, so the above is just a suggestion - one of the head hunters or Quants will probably be able to offer better advice.

Thanks NewHaven for the programme recommendation.

Can anyone else recommend other programmes like this (this one in particular http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/prospective_students/undergraduate/lse/dip_grad/math/index.shtml)?

As I said, the point of the BSc or part-time courses would be to get to an MFE and not a job. So does anyone out there think an admissions committee might feel an online programme like the London International Programme's is less prestigious or if it does not have the same academic rigour?

So does anyone out there think an admissions committee might feel an online programme like the London International Programme's is less prestigious or if it does not have the same academic rigour?
How well known is this online program? How many graduates it has produced? How good are they? How do you maintain some acceptable level of quality?

This is the question I'm seeking to find out and there are little proof that online programs like that can replace normal degree.

I'm very skeptical with online courses in general, just because there are more incentive to cut corners and less incentive to improve quality. Phoenix University anyone?

That said, it's ok to take a specific online course like C++, Math to meet the requirement.

Andy - I might be able to shed a little more light on this programme.

The exams that are sat via the International programme are graded to the same standard as those sat by the students in house. So if your doing Banking and Finance which is an LSE based course, you're being graded to the same standard as the in house students.

There is a study weekend on site every Feb and summer school. UoL partners with other Universities to deliver lectures as well as for sitting exams, for example I sit my exams in May at Yale.

As for how well known, London Uni has being running the External system since the 19thC, with a large number of notable grads including Noble prize winners and HG Wells.

I can only speak from my own experience of the institution but the quality of what is taught and the way it is delivered is excellent.

Maybe a UK head hunter can shed more light on their opinion of the course, but I can only speak as a student myself.

If you already have a degree it is a good way of learning a second subject in my opinion.

Andy - I've not graduated yet so not had transcripts through, however the Uni provides the following guide:

When you graduate with a degree, diploma or certificate from the University of London you will be sent two documents - a final diploma (i.e. the parchment you receive following graduation) and a Diploma Supplement.
The final diploma will indicate that you were registered with the University of London and awarded a University of London degree, diploma or certificate, and give the name of the Lead College which conducted the examinations. The University of London logo and signature of the Vice-Chancellor of the University of London are incorporated. The Diploma Supplement will describe the nature, level and content of the programme you successfully completed and include a transcript of courses taken and marks achieved, as well as the overall classification. It also provides further information about the role of the Lead College and method of study.

The Lead College are the member colleges of UoL so Birbeck, Goldsmiths, London School of Economics, University College London etc.

Back