• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

A Day in the Life of a NYU-Poly MFE student

This is a series of short submissions by students in various MFE programs who share what their day is like. Each day is written by a different student.

nyu-poly-fre.jpg

8:30am – Ring...Snooze...Ring…Snooze…Ring…Alright, alright am up!
8:30-10:00am – Check mail, messages and get ready for the day ahead.
10-10:30am – On the subway ride to school, I read the Wall Street Journal, have to know what’s happening in the world…
10:30-1:30pm – I have my teaching assistant hours to answer questions students might have for the courses in Advanced Financial Econometrics and Risk Management & Asset Pricing.
1:30-1:55pm – Squeeze a quick lunch in between.
1:55-4:00pm – Head to the library to complete assignments and projects. It never ends!!
4:00-4:30pm – Back to the department; am part of the student club (Financial Engineering Association). Meet-up with fellow members to discuss our agenda for the next week, including an upcoming social for the department and a lecture by a trader from the industry.
4:30-5:30pm – Meeting with the members of the trading club. We discuss trading strategies and implications of the present macro-economic environment.
5:30-7:00pm – Back to the library to finish up the assignment for the class later on. Its crunch time… Bring it on!!
7:00-9:00pm – Phew!! Complete just in time. Off to attend the class in Derivative Securities. Come out realizing I still don’t know squat!
9:00-9:45pm – On the way back home, continue reading the Wall Street Journal. Although this time, it’s reading for leisure.
9:45-10:00pm – Quickly review the material covered in class and make a mental note of what I didn’t understand, which ends up being most of it.
10:00-10:45pm – Eat dinner and chill out with flat-mates.
10:45-1:30am – Read up on today’s class and hunt for jobs online. Damn! The economy sucks!
1:30am – Ahhh!! My bed…Zzzzzz
I definitely need to fit in some sort of physical activity to my day. The key to learning from any degree is to be consistent. Have to follow some kind of routine, just keep at it and ask for help if you need it.

ARE YOU A CURRENT MFE STUDENT? Tell us what your day is like.! Click HERE

Back