• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

About chances of being a quant right after getting a BS degree in Physics in Umass Boston

Hi. I'm a struggling physics major undergraduate student at UMB. It is my second year and I don't think I will graduate in 2 years. I see all those threads on "Quant Network" asking their chances of getting a job when they are going to really reputable schools with really good grades (they would complain getting A-....)

So here are my questions:
1. Do I need to do MFE or Math Fin or other finance degree aside from getting my BS degree in physics to get a quant job?

2. Looking at other people's resume with the history of having gone to a really good school and with really good grades, I found that I would not be able to compete with those people when I'm trying to get a quant job at a reputable corporation. Then, would I still be able to get a less paying quant job at a less reputable corporation?

3. Is it easy for a quant to change his job to a different company? (I'm not talking about jumping around, but changes 2 or three times at the max)

1) Degrees are just a mean. They don't automatically get you jobs. You are missing several critical components: networking, interview skills, career services support.
2) There are always people with better profiles than you are so there is no point in focusing on it. You need to find where you are better than others. Can you find one area where it's the case?
3) As long as you have another offer, you are free to move around. It's a free market in the truest sense.

That being said... why are you struggling? Are you sure the quant field is for you?

Back