• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Academic Advice Needed!

Hello...

I am interested in pursing a graduate degree in Mathematical Finance. I already have a undergrad degree in CS, but my GPA is not sufficient (sub 3.0). So, I am debating between the following options and this is where I need your advice:
(Time-wise both options will take two years)

1. Get a second degree from another university. The advantage is that my GPA will be reset and if I do well my overall GPA can be high. However, I am not sure if I need to submit my transcript from my first university. ( I am really hoping that I don't need to submit it).

2. Just enroll to my former school as a non-degree student, and take the prerequisite courses and apply. The disadvantage is obviously that my GPA won't be reset and, even if I get all 4.0s for two years, the overall GPA won't exceed 3.5. However, my former school has a higher name value.

Also I have a question... do you know how schools look at the GPA? Is it last two years, last three years, or all the years?

I would appreciate, if anyone can give me some guidance, because I have been struggling to come up with a decision for a few month now.

Much Appreciated

Most schools (NYU, Baruch, Cornell, Columbia, etc.) ask for ALL of your post-secondary transcripts. So, I don't think option A really gives you much benefit. From the admissions people I have talked to, schools look at your transcript and if you have a weak overall GPA but have shown a strong upward trend, most schools will look past the overall weak GPA and focus on your two/three stronger years. That said, without a very strong application in all other areas, it will be difficult to get admitted to top program with a weak GPA. If you don't have work experience, make sure you can show a perfect GRE score and some undergraduate projects or research that demonstrate your academic abilities. In your Statement of Purpose make sure you discuss why your GPA was so weak early in your undergrad career and highlight the strengths of your application that make up for the weak GPA.

Best of luck.

Check the tracker and see how many sub 3.0 have received admits.... I doubt other factors can compensate for low GPA... Uni's say that they do holistic evaluation but when it comes to reality I doubt that's the case...

Back