• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Actuary or mfe

Heyy all
I have a confusion regarding choosing mfe program
I am bba graduate and cleared 4 ppaers of Actuaries and now I wanted to pursue financial engineering as back up and also clearing papers further is tough for me. So should I go for it or there are other programs better for me ?? I m interested in statistics, mathematics, finance

It’s tough to sit on two chairs. You only have one backside.

Actuarial science is a low risk field - significant barriers to entry, a lot of jobs, low correlation to markets. I’m not sure how a higher risk, arguably more competitive field (higher correlation to markets) would be an effective hedge.

Also, MFE programs are hard. If you’re not able to pass the last few actuarial exams, then your prospects for success in an MFE are questionable.

That said, one of the best guys I know inbthe field has an actuarial background.

It’s tough to sit on two chairs. You only have one backside.

Actuarial science is a low risk field - significant barriers to entry, a lot of jobs, low correlation to markets. I’m not sure how a higher risk, arguably more competitive field (higher correlation to markets) would be an effective hedge.

Also, MFE programs are hard. If you’re not able to pass the last few actuarial exams, then your prospects for success in an MFE are questionable.

That said, one of the best guys I know inbthe field has an actuarial background.
I have give n four exams n all cleared in first time but high risk bcoz paper passing % are very low in Actuaries after CT series. I just want to know that if Actuaries n mfe r similar so that I can pursue mfe bcoz I like actuarial curriculum

Hi Amisha.
Since you have mentioned above that you like the actuarial science curriculum and assuming that you are part of either the Indian/UK actuarial society, why not try for an MSc in Actuarial Management from Cass business school London. As far as I know, graduating from this program in particular will give you exemptions from some of the post CT series (including Actuarial Risk Management) papers of the UK society. You can go on the IFOA site or the Cass Business school site to know more.

Hi Amisha.
Since you have mentioned above that you like the actuarial science curriculum and assuming that you are part of either the Indian/UK actuarial society, why not try for an MSc in Actuarial Management from Cass business school London. As far as I know, graduating from this program in particular will give you exemptions from some of the post CT series (including Actuarial Risk Management) papers of the UK society. You can go on the IFOA site or the Cass Business school site to know more.
This courses make no sense because u have to clear after or before this course even the exempted ones. This course is not worth it.

No they are completely different. The only slightly common factor is math. Actuary is business people doing math while Quant is mathematician writing code or computer scientist doing math :)

Also if you think further actuarial exams are difficult then I have doubt if you can make it through the quant interview process.

No they are completely different. The only slightly common factor is math. Actuary is business people doing math while Quant is mathematician writing code or computer scientist doing math :)

Also if you think further actuarial exams are difficult then I have doubt if you can make it through the quant interview process.
Pretty much spot on.

It also depends a little on what kind of actuarial job you get. Some investment actuaries might involve actually some of the Q-measure stuff quants use, but the difference between that and quant finance is still vast. Others will spend all day long writing letters to investors and where "using math" means doing more exams. I've worked with ex-actuaries from both persuasions that became quants. All agree that the difference between the 2 fields is vast and one supervisor even described actuary as "not very mathematical except for doing exams where the examiners regurgitated course material".

The point on finding exams tough is the most important one. Not being able to clear papers so early is a major red flag. I've heard of people with strong maths skills messing up towards the end once they're in a job and senior (they are BS memory tests in UK & Ireland and I could see that getting very mentally taxing) but 4 papers in the OP should be flying through them if they are thinking of quant finance as an alternative.

Pretty much spot on.

It also depends a little on what kind of actuarial job you get. Some investment actuaries might involve actually some of the Q-measure stuff quants use, but the difference between that and quant finance is still vast. Others will spend all day long writing letters to investors and where "using math" means doing more exams. I've worked with ex-actuaries from both persuasions that became quants. All agree that the difference between the 2 fields is vast and one supervisor even described actuary as "not very mathematical except for doing exams where the examiners regurgitated course material".

The point on finding exams tough is the most important one. Not being able to clear papers so early is a major red flag. I've heard of people with strong maths skills messing up towards the end once they're in a job and senior (they are BS memory tests in UK & Ireland and I could see that getting very mentally taxing) but 4 papers in the OP should be flying through them if they are thinking of quant finance as an alternative.
Thnku for help

Back