• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Admission dilemma

Hi guys,
I have an admit from NYU tandon for MFE and NCSU for MFM, have been waitlisted for boston university
Awaiting results from UCLA and Columbia for MFE.
Can you please advice What shall i do?

I'd go for Columbia MFE first choice , then mb NYU tandon MFE , out of those you have listed

If you haven't heard at all from Columbia yet and have a deadline to deposit, I'd suggest you to go with NYU Tandon MFE. Else, wait for Columbia for the results.

i have heard a lot of negative reviews about NYU Tandon MFE as in the curriculum is not that strong, Have also applied to GeorgaTech for MQF program should i consider it over NYU if given an admit?

Hmmmmm don't know,i'm also waiting on a reply from UCLA ,and have been admitted into Mathematics of Finance from columbia.Your thoughts on math fin from columbia ?

Hmmmmm don't know,i'm also waiting on a reply from UCLA ,and have been admitted into Mathematics of Finance from columbia.Your thoughts on math fin from columbia ?
I think financial Engineering from Columbia is a good option in comparison to math fin because of the length of the program which gives us more time to grasp the concepts and the better reach of the financial engineering program at Columbia. Apart from it, I would like to consider UCLA because of Anderson Scool of Management and more focus on theory at UCLA according to the curriculum. But yes NYU Tandon has a good brand value and Location advantage. This is what I could gather from my research.

If you haven't heard at all from Columbia yet and have a deadline to deposit, I'd suggest you to go with NYU Tandon MFE. Else, wait for Columbia for the results.
How long does columbia take to declare results? Any Idea? Where are you going for the Masters course?

NYU Tandon should be preferred over Georgia Tech on anyday, given the location advantage and also for the year on year enhancements and commendable efforts made by them to be the best destination for Quants.

Coming to Columbia, as per what I understood, they are sending out admits to the profiles they liked in the first few rounds and are keeping others in queue as per the number of students who accepted the offers. Based on the number of vacancies to fill, they are gradually sending out interview invites to a few more and so on. I'd suggest to have least hopes on Columbia if you haven't heard from them at all, coz I had a friend last year who waited until end of May for them and finally got a reject.

I have a decent job that I'm currently happy with right now and so I applied only to a select few universities. Although I received one admit, I have declined it and decided to stay with my current job unless I hear from my preference universities. My preference is Cornell and Columbia and I'm thinking to accept the first admit that I receive without thinking much. So far, I was placed on Cornell's waitlist and haven't heard from Columbia. Don't have much hope on Columbia for the same exact reason above and hoping to receive positive response from Cornell. Otherwise, I'll just stick to my current job.

Last edited:
Back