• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Admission question

Hello everyone

I am a prospective applicant and a new member of this forum. This is a great forum and would like to say hi to all of you. I have a bachelors degree in computer science from bangladesh (10 years ago) and have been working as software developer with very strong background in C++. Currently working in downtown Manhattan with H1 visa. I have a question about math background. In my undergrad, we had to pass math and there is no marks mentioned in the official transcript. It only says pass. Math included Calculus (including multivariate), linear algebra, differential calculus, geometry etc. Did not have probability or any finance course. So what the admission committee is going to do when they see that the transcript only says "pass" instead of specific marks?

Thanks
Pijush

pijush71 said:
So what the admission committee is going to do when they see that the transcript only says "pass" instead of specific marks?
Not so sure what they will do in that case. If your profile is strong otherwise, they will ask you to take the refresher courses during the summer. It's unfortunate that you will be competing against those with a more standard grade system. There is absolutely nothing you can do about the way your courses were graded so you shouldn't waste too much time on that. Instead you can work to improve your other backgrounds, namely finance and C++. These are just as important as math.

As for your GMAT score, I have no comment since I'm not familiar. You should take GRE instead. Aim for 780-800 GRE quant.

Thanks Andy. Is it a good idea if I take some math courses in a community college (they seem to the cheapest to me), get good grade and submit that with my application?

pijush71 said:
Thanks Andy. Is it a good idea if I take some math courses in a community college (they seem to the cheapest to me), get good grade and submit that with my application?
That's what I would do as well. Math is the same everywhere. It's not where or what they teach you, it's what you want to learn. It's not like 2+2 =4 at Ivy League and 2+2 = 4.2 at Community College ;)
Take Linear Algebra, Probability, Cal III at a community college, get good grade, save money and apply. If you live in NYC, just go to any of the CUNY. Some of them have great faculty. I can recommend some college where I've studied or taught at.

I work in downtown Manhattan, so can attend a college in NYC in the evening. Please give me name of some colleges where they will allow me to take math courses as a non degree student. I have to start in January. So can't spend too much time for documents. Do these colleges accept notarized copies of transcripts? For finance, I have the Hull book and actually going through it. Is it enough to personally go through the book? I don't think I will be able to manage time to take a finance course now.

And I really appreciate your help, Andy.

... will they allow me to take Calculus III without taking Calculus I first?

pijush71 said:
... will they allow me to take Calculus III without taking Calculus I first?
Most college where I've been through would let you take a test to opt out of a course. So you should be able to go to the Math Dept, ask to take Cal I, Cal II test and if you pass, you can sign up for Cal III. They should have samples for those test.
They are more than happy to take your money and allow you to take any course you want because you are a non-degree student.
I teach at Bronx Community College for several years and that's how they do things. If you prefer to take it at BMCC or other CUNY colleges, you can go there and ask. Make sure you do it early because going through the system at first is not a pleasant experience.
As for other parts of your question, i think the answers are YES.

Hi Andy

Is there any standard exam for college level Cal I and II, linear algebra and probablility? If there is then I could study myself and take those exams.

Thanks
Pijush

Back