• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Advice for Quant Programs

I feel really late to the party and am very anxious about it, but I decided to try and apply to any remaining quant programs that have rounds available.

A little background on my situation, I was an economics major and data analytics minor in my undergraduate and do not really have the traditional quant program math background. I have tried my best to address this area, taking certification courses online in linear algebra, multivariate calculus, and even did a specialization in Financial Engineering and Risk. I do, however, view this as my biggest weakness as an applicant and wish I took these courses during my undergrad. I really am interested in the use of data and building trading models and would like to get into portfolio analytics. I definitely have significantly more analytical / statistical and computer programming oriented skills than traditional math (not because I am bad at math, I simply have not had the coursework).

I have been admitted into Georgetown on a significant scholarship but I worry I will not be able to get the type of roles I am interested to... which is why I am looking into quant programs. My current plan is to apply to Johns Hopkins, Georgia Tech, BU, and Fordham. Depending on if I get into these schools I will try and play catchup on any math I am lacking. I am pretty confident that I will be able to because I took a quant economics class that applied math courses I had not taken. What have others experiences been with these schools / should I look elsewhere? Do I even have a shot, I really have no idea where I stand?

Stats: 730 GMAT and 3.96 / 4.0 GPA, Graduated with honors, Phi Betta Kappa

Back