• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Advice for Quant Researcher Career

Hi,

I am currently a first-year Pure Math Ph.D. (intending to do research in the field of Dynamical System) student based in New York City. I really liked math but at the same time, I wanted to be able to make a living out of it and it seems that my chance of staying in academia without doing a post-doc is very slim, but I really don't think I can afford additional years on research with a post-doc wage. After some digging, I found the field of quantitative research seems to be interesting at first glance. I was wondering if the forum can provide me with some advice on how should I prepare for getting a position as Quant Researcher. Should I self-study the material on the side while finishing my Ph.D., or should I drop out of my Ph.D. and get into an MFE of some sort, or should I do an MFE part-time?

Thank you very much,

Last edited:
Hi,

I am currently a first-year Pure Math Ph.D. (intending to do research in the field of Dynamical System) student based in New York City. I really liked math but at the same time, I wanted to be able to make a living out of it and it seems that my chance of staying in academia without doing a post-doc is very slim, but I really don't think I can afford additional years on research with a post-doc wage. After some digging, I found the field of quantitative research seems to be interesting at first glance. I was wondering if the forum can provide me with some advice on how should I prepare for getting a position as Quant Researcher. Should I self-study the material on the side while finishing my Ph.D., or should I drop out of my Ph.D. and get into an MFE of some sort, or should I do an MFE part-time?

Thank you very much,
1) Go for a PhD 2) get an internship at a bank or HF 3) make sure you get a return offer.

Back