• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

[Advice Needed] Best Path for Non-Target School Undergraduates

Hi guys,
My question is about the optimal path or strategy for undergraduate students from a non-target school who want to enter the Quant industry.

To give you a brief background, I'm from a Top 50 university on the East Coast, majoring in Computer Science. My original plan was to pursue a Ph.D. after graduation, and I published a few top conference papers in NLP and ML Theory during my freshman and sophomore years. This was followed by two internships as a software engineer at a small company and a Diversity Program at Google Research. I am now looking to change my career path and plan to look for a quant trader position.

I'd like to ask what I can do to maximize my chances of getting a trader job with my background, and I'd welcome any advice anyone can leave, thank you!

Edit:
Since I transferred, my GPA is currently 4.0. My course content was decent, very much a Grad Level course, and the math fundamentals were barely decent.
I'm sorry I don't know if that's enough information :(

Last edited:
I know that I don't have a sufficient education background, however, for some personal reasons, I can not afford to take a master in MFE :(

On paper you've already been rejected since you are all CS not quant.

But don't let that stop you. Build your own algo and start trading. Create a section on the very top of your resume called:

Quant Trading Algo

Describe your process broken down by bullets and how you manage risk, produce reports, and how well your portfolio is performing.

This section is/will be more important than your education or experiences.

On paper you've already been rejected since you are all CS not quant.

But don't let that stop you. Build your own algo and start trading. Create a section on the very top of your resume called:

Quant Trading Algo

Describe your process broken down by bullets and how you manage risk, produce reports, and how well your portfolio is performing.

This section is/will be more important than your education or experiences.
Hi MRoss,
Thank you! You explained your opinions very clearly. I have a simple following question: what materials/books/websites that you recommended for learning Algo trading? Since I have been programming with Python for many many years, I plan to construct my trading system/algo w Python. Thank you so much!

Hi MRoss,
Thank you! You explained your opinions very clearly. I have a simple following question: what materials/books/websites that you recommended for learning Algo trading? Since I have been programming with Python for many many years, I plan to construct my trading system/algo w Python. Thank you so much!
I am not the person to answer that question, sorry. But pretty much everyone else here should be able to assist.

Back