• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Best Path from Mechanical Engineering to Quant

I'm on track to complete my bachelor's in mechanical engineering with a minor in math and CS (from a non-target US school). I want to pivot into finance and become a Quant Researcher (particularly at a hedge fund). I have a pretty good track record (~3.8 GPA, research experience, journal publications, etc.), so I should be able to get into a higher-ranked school than my undergrad. I narrowed it down to a couple of degrees (Master in Applied Math, Data Science, Statistics, or Operations Research) and was hoping to get some opinions. I looked into MFEs, but I don't think my experience suits them. Are there any other suggestions or advice that you could provide? I want to get a degree in a quantitative field that is both applicable to quantitative finance and relevant enough to my background that I won't be rejected. Also, I'd like to get a Ph.D. if possible, so if that subject has Ph.D. programs, that is a plus (however, I am not sure my resume is good enough to get into a Ph.D. program at a target school, so I'd like to apply to masters as well). Also, are there any schools in particular I should look into or avoid? Any advice helps. Thanks!

A MFE is not gonna help for a PhD. Its an industry degree. You don't need any special financial work experience to get into an MFE. Definitely helps but not essential. Just have a good enough math background.

Back