• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Advice needed...for Fall 2008

Hello people,

My GRE score is 1150 ( Q-790 V-360 ) and planning to apply for MFE for FALL-2008.
I feel that the score is too low to apply at Baruch for 2008.
I am not asking you guys to tell me abt my chances, I just want to know whether i stand anywhere with this score and background? I know the score is quite bad and i feel i should appear for GRE again... what do u say?

Background
---------------
I am an Engineer and hold a B.Tech in Information and Communication Technology- ICT from DA-IICT, Ahmedabad,INDIA with a percentage of 62%.

I have 1 yr and 2 months of work experience till date.
I work for a Proprietary Trading Firm in INDIA called Futures First (aka) G H Financials, LONDON.

I was a "Derivatives Trader" for 6 months.
I've traded the STIRs (Short Term Interest rate) Futures-Short Sterling Futures market in the Euro next-LIFFE exchange.

Thereafter i've been working in the Algorithmic Trading team in the same firm as an Associate Technology.
I am a BLOOMBERG Certified Professional and i develop applications to automate manual trading.
I have been working with Bloomberg Terminals, their API's and programming on Visual Studio C#.NET platform, Visual Basic for Applications-VBA, MS Access, MySql and MS Excel, TT (Trading Technologies)'s X-Trader PRO API and RTD links.
I have also made tools for trading "Synthetic Options" (using Black and Scholes model and Binomial model) and Implied volatility (using Newton's Method and Bisection algorithm).

Currently, i am leading the team which developed an online simulated trading game that was launched this month. [ http://futuresfirst.in click on THE TRADE MOGUL]
use the following ID and password
User ID - FF_1022
password - asdfghjkl

Please answer me ASAP, so that i can book a slot for GRE again coz i think my score is too low.
Thanks...

Hi,

According to my experience, you need to take the GRE again. The competition for this program now is fierce and this trend will continue. If you look at the data in admission results, you will find your position in this exam.

Besides, I think your working experience only gives you advantages during the interview rather than the reviewing process. If you stay in NYC, you may come here and talk to the director. But if you are in India, I guess people evaluate you by just some standard criteria.

Good luck

The Verbal score is low, indeed, but the work experience is good. The math background and your grades in the math courses will be important.

hi stefan

i need to give TOEFL again since it has expired (got 290 at the earlier attempt)... i had a question.... whether taking GRE Math improve my chances of getting into Baruch?
My GRE is 1490 (Q-800)
Have currently 2 yr work ex in Banking and Finance Projects in a good IT firm in India

Im applying early too...by november... will that improve my chances as well?

early application does not improve chances, necessarily, but it certainly does not hurt.

Back