• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Advice needed for FE

Hi All,
Sorry if this has been asked before...
I'm currently working in a finance firm doing IT work. I'm working with quants, stats researchers,
and modelers. However, I'm only doing the IT part of the job to help them out using C++, Perl and
Shell. Honestly speaking, I feel I'm wasting my life here since I don't really know what I'm doing...
My backgroud is computer science undergrad and master in applied math and I've worked in IT world for
about 3 years.
My questions are:
1. Since I need to go to work every day to make a living, is there a good part-time FE program?
2. Is it true that all programs need either GRE or GMAT? I don't have GRE and I got my degrees outside
of US. I tried to prepare for it and got scared off by preparing the verbal sections... (English
isn't my first language...) I'm imagine preparing GRE/GMAT only will take me months...
3. Are the programs of Master of Mathematics in Finance good? I heard Columnbia and NYU has such
programs. However, I'm just worrying if these programs have enough exposure to finance. Can I choose
finance courses if I enroll into these programs? What I'm interested in is equity trading optimization
programs and equity derivative pricing courses, such as PDE's, Monte Carlo simulation...
4. I know this might be stupid... Based on my backgroud above, should I take MFE or should I take
a more mathematic-centric program? I think all quant programs boil down to mathematical problems but
I really want more exposure to finance....
Thanks a lot!

1) There are plenty of part time FE programs in the city, Baruch is one of them. The list is at www.quantnet.com/wiki
2) Yes unless you have a PhD and request a waiver. GRE is the easiest thing you will ever see compared to the courses you see in FE programs.
3) You don't have much choice. FE programs are tightly constructed and you can't just take any course you want. Electives have to be approved. At least, that's the experience at Baruch
4) Ask yourself, do the quants, researchers at your place work with a whiteboard and write math formula all day long or they sit in front of computer and work with code.

Thanks Andy!

This board IS the most active and friendly board I've found.

Thanks again.

work ex

Hi all,
I have heard that people with work experience are taken into the mfe program.I am an indian student.I am industrial engineer( Bachelors).Can I apply for the program now.or is it too late.I have 80% in my engg course with 90% avg in math courses and 90% in c++.My Gmat 680(49q and 33V).Do I stand a chance?Please help.I am really intersted in finance and mathematics.

thank you
David

Is it true that all programs need either GRE or GMAT? I don't have GRE and I got my degrees outside
of US. I tried to prepare for it and got scared off by preparing the verbal sections... (English
isn't my first language...) I'm imagine preparing GRE/GMAT only will take me months...
I don't even know if the FE programs care about the verbal scores--as long as you can communicate well (which is why they have interviews).

Back