• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Advice regarding master's programs

I have recently completed my graduation from IIT Kharagpur. My course was integrated MSc. In chemsitry(5 years). Now my interest in chemistry was gone in my 3rd year. That's when I started exploring topics in quant finance and found it quite interesting. Last year during placement sessions, I started applying for full time roles(quant researcher) in quant firms( around 80) and got response from just 3 (optiver , maven and DTL) and was able to clear their OAs but failed in the interviews. I am currently working in a risk management consulting firm( been 2 months). My plan now is to apply for masters in quant related subjects as I believe the only hindrance to me getting opportunities is my degree in chemsitry.

The main issue that I am currently facing is that my degree lacked mathematical courses. I had to do probability and stats from an online source and also the grades that I got in some of the quantitative courses that I had are not that good ( C in some). Now , for applying in masters programs, most require strong mathematical background. Though I am well versed with probability, statistics, calculus and linear algebra. I dont have any concrete evidence to prove it. I just want to know how likely it would be for me to get into a good masters program which can help me get interviews at quant firms.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Go through the quantitative background section on this page: Prerequisites | Master of Financial Engineering | Berkeley Haas. If you have done UG coursework which cover topics mentioned here, you would be fine. All applications request you to specify the courses you undertook which cover pre-reqs. You can mention the specific course you undertook there.
However, if you do not have uni coursework which specifically cover the topics mentioned as pre-req you will have to take online courses to cover up for these. Each uni has a list of MOOCs and online courses they deem would be on par with their expectations for pre-reqs. You'll have to go through the list for each uni to apply to and enrol in online courses after you've applied in order to cover the pre-reqs.

Back