• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

algorithmic trading interview questions

I will be interviewed for an algorithmic trading strategy desk. What kind of questions should I expect? Does the role involve a lot of programming?

Yes, algorithmic trading will involve programming. By nature, it is a type of trading where you write programs to execute orders.

If I may add a question:

How about specifically for quant hedge funds? brainteasers or also lots of statistics?

Thanks, what level are they assuming for entry level quant traders? in terms of programming and stats?

Stats: Are we talking basic distributions, probability theory, etc. or time series, advanced statistics, etc.?

Coding: Will you be able to get in with some basic OOP skills as a non developer?

Thanks, what level are they assuming for entry level quant traders? in terms of programming and stats?

Stats: Are we talking basic distributions, probability theory, etc. or time series, advanced statistics, etc.?

Coding: Will you be able to get in with some basic OOP skills as a non developer?

Depends which shop you are applying to - generally the larger the firm the more you will be required to know.
Some shops - especially in trading - look for hard subjects because it is an indicator of intelligence and hard work rather than actual skills needed in the workplace

I will be interviewed for an algorithmic trading strategy desk. What kind of questions should I expect?

Does the role involve a lot of programming?
may not. usually programming is done by programmers.

they may ask about market microstructure.

I work in algo trading field. If you give me more details, I will be able to give more detailed answer.

Last edited:
Khorge: By hard subjects, do you mean hardcore, prestigious theses / masters at good universities? Are they more lenient with regards to existing skills than IBs? The tier 1 banks don't care that you haven't done much financial maths, they seem to need you to know all the same stuff as financial maths PhDs.

OilCrock: would they ask about market microstructure if you don't have a background? does that mean i'd have to pick up a book on that? What did you prepare to get into the field?

Easiest to be a quant if you have good results in a Masters/PhD in Physics/Maths/Stats/Engineering etc... at a top university (i.e. top 5 in your country). Smaller shops dont have the patience to train you up so they want existing skills much more than at IB's.

OilCrock: would they ask about market microstructure if you don't have a background? does that mean i'd have to pick up a book on that? What did you prepare to get into the field?

you may install Saxo Bank or Interactive Brookers, use demo account and learn how to trade - it is not math, not algo trading, but you will be able to learn the language which is used on the trading floor: Bid/Offer, hit the bid, lift the offer, Iceberg, TWAP, etc.

Back