• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

An intern experience or participating in MCM/ICM?

Han

:) Hi everyone.My major is EE&&Finance.I plan to apply for MFE.,but am a little bothered now.I've been preparing GRE for some time.Initially,I intended to take the test at the beginning of March of next year,so I can participate in the MCM,which is held in middle of Feb.But it is uncertain that I can win a prize in the competition,even at a low probability.My mathematical background is not strong,so I think it will be improved if I get a prize.Another choice is that I take the test at the middle of Feb,so I can have time to do an two week-lasted intern,since my new semester begin at March.So,an intern experience,or participating in MCM,which is more helpful for me to apply?But I'm sure I will have one or two intership in July or August.All the internships are finance-related institutions,maybe bank,or fund.
Thankssssss.

Believe it or not, there are a lot of applicants who mention MCM/ICM contests in their essay, specially those from China so it does not signify anything too big an edge. I would say spend that extra time to get a relevant internship, work on your essay, learn C++ would have better payback.
Thanks for your reply.I've learnt C++,and I'm learning matlab now.C++,or matlab,which one is more frequently used in MFE?Now I have some chances to practice matlab,but not C++.Need I practise more C++?

Matlab is a prototype language, easy to pick up. MFE programs that are serious about programming aspect will demand C++.
I hope you not feel bothered by my a series of questions.I tooke C++ courses for one year,but without projects.However,if I learn more about C++ by myself and practise,how can I let the admisson officer know?Write them in PS or essay?It seems not so persuasive.
Thanks again.

Back