• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Another life after mfe thread

Recently, I have been browsing through jobs for Quantitative Developers/Quantitative Analysts and surprisingly most/all of them require a doctorate degree in some quantitative field!

Am I missing something... Are their any exciting/lucrative career paths after MFE for people without a doctorate degree also? It will be nice if someone can list some possible careers (which I can google and thus know more about post MFE life)

By the way it's interesting to note how doing research on a topic that might not even be remotely related to finance privileges you with working as a quant developer ...just a random thought :D

If you browse jobs through a job site, chances are it's not real job but rather decoy setup by recruiters to harvest resume and contacts.
"PhD from top Ivy or top 10 in hard science field" is a well-used phrase to filter wannabe.
The secret is that for a real job, an MFE will get you in for an interview even the requirement asks specifically for "PhD from top Ivy". That's the perk of being in a "very good MFE program" who can bypass the HR droids.
And then there are firms obsessed with credentials like D.E Shaw where you have to place in Math Olympiad, perfect SAT, GRE or what have them.

Do not believe the hype and what you read.

Recently, I have been browsing through jobs for Quantitative Developers/Quantitative Analysts and surprisingly most/all of them require a doctorate degree in some quantitative field!

Am I missing something... Are their any exciting/lucrative career paths after MFE for people without a doctorate degree also? It will be nice if someone can list some possible careers (which I can google and thus know more about post MFE life)

By the way it's interesting to note how doing research on a topic that might not even be remotely related to finance privileges you with working as a quant developer ...just a random thought.

As Andy indicates, the vast majority of them are from recruiters, the bulk of whom -- as in IT -- seem to have room temperature IQs. Which is part of the reason they list a blanket set of requirements. They collect resumes and pass them on, hoping to collect a fee -- and add just about no value to the process.

Back