• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Anyone heard of Master of Applied Analytics from Columbia U?

I recently just received an offer from this program and have to make a decision if I want to take up the offer in a few weeks. This is a new program, according to the website, and can be completed in 3 semesters (36 credits).

Here are some core courses:
Applied Analytics in the Organizational Context
Change in Complex Organizations
Research Design
Applied Analytics Frameworks and Methods
Strategic Leadership in Analytics-Focused Organizations
Modern Database Architecture
Strategic Communications
Data Visualization & Design
Capstone Project
3 electives

I've been debating if I should take up this offer due to its pricey cost (approx USD 70k). But getting a degree from an Ivy League has been a dream for me. I can't help but think this might be that once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for me. What do you think? Is it worth it?

Last edited:
Let not the Columbia tag fool you. You will have a hard time paying back that kind of money with a degree that seem as focussed as Moses wandering in Arabian desert.

But dont those wall street financial institutions prefer the TAG more than anything when it comes to recruit (or screening for potential candidates)?
It would be the biggest bet I ever made if I accept the offer and you were right I might not be able to pay back the money anytime soon. At the same time I'm afraid I might be regret in the future for turning down an offer from Columbia.

Goshhhhh.... Help me!!! lol

What is your academic profile and what are you trying to achieve ?

But dont those wall street financial institutions prefer the TAG more than anything when it comes to recruit (or screening for potential candidates)?
It would be the biggest bet I ever made if I accept the offer and you were right I might not be able to pay back the money anytime soon. At the same time I'm afraid I might be regret in the future for turning down an offer from Columbia.

If Wall Street is your dream, then no. Wall Street knows the difference between Columbia degrees, with a degree like this holding far less weight than MBA, financial engineering, operations research, or others from Columbia.

Also, $70k for this degree? You do realize that university's are businesses (despite the non-profit standing), right? They are taking advantage of big data/analytics trend. Higher education is becoming more and more diluted, IMO. Having a degree used to mean you learned something and had attained certain skills. It seems that now, the primary thing students take away from higher education is student loan debt.

The aura of Columbia you carry in your head will fast fade once you graduate and find yourself with mediocre job prospects & leveraged to the nose. Maybe you will get some brownie points letting know that barista guy/girl you went to Columbia. There's much more cost efficient way to get a Data Sc degree, and then use that $$ for elite MBA programs down the line.

Convince the school to hold your offer for next year and in the mean time seek better prospects, bid your time and improve your profile.

Ask about their resources and statistics on career placement. Ask about space for students, academic advising, who're teaching those courses. You'll find little career support. It's a low quality program to help fund their fancy expensive data science institute. But find out for yourself before spending all that money. They should respond to your inquiries.

Which dept? Columbia seems to have about 100 different MS degrees, sometimes the same degrees offered by different depts.

If it was your dream to get a degree from ivy then seize it. Wether it is worth it or not , only you can say.

What is your academic profile and what are you trying to achieve ?

I got a degree in Mathematics from a non-target school in the south. Currently working in a Venture Capital firm in Singapore.
I would like to break into hedge fund industry either as a trader or quant researcher.

I got a degree in Mathematics from a non-target school in the south. Currently working in a Venture Capital firm in Singapore.
I would like to break into hedge fund industry either as a trader or quant researcher.

If that is your goal then forget about this degree. It definitely won't lead you there and you will just find yourself being 100K in debt with no job prospects.

facts about School of Prof'l Studies (feel free to debate with facts, or contact Columbia to ask for clarification:
Contact | Columbia University School of Professional Studies
Applied Analytics
appliedanalytics@sps.columbia.edu)

1. very low admissions standard means high acceptance rate and low reputation.
2. columbia is notorious for redirecting rejected applicants to lower-tier programs (e.g. MFE to MSOR). Now they're channeling them out to other schools within the university.
3. no access to on-campus career services, or on-campus recruiting events.
4. most if not all courses are taught by adjuncts (practitioners who're moonlighting to teach), not by tenure-track professors.
5. you may not be able to talk to the instructors b/c there may be no office hours at all!
6. no academic advising by tenure-track professors. there may be a program director (administrator) for you, but profs don't care.
7. a great way to waste money.

Real shame, these universities are not held accountable for perpetuating fraud on the gullible.

facts about School of Prof'l Studies (feel free to debate with facts, or contact Columbia to ask for clarification:
Contact | Columbia University School of Professional Studies
Applied Analytics
appliedanalytics@sps.columbia.edu)

1. very low admissions standard means high acceptance rate and low reputation.
2. columbia is notorious for redirecting rejected applicants to lower-tier programs (e.g. MFE to MSOR). Now they're channeling them out to other schools within the university.
3. no access to on-campus career services, or on-campus recruiting events.
4. most if not all courses are taught by adjuncts (practitioners who're moonlighting to teach), not by tenure-track professors.
5. you may not be able to talk to the instructors b/c there may be no office hours at all!
6. no academic advising by tenure-track professors. there may be a program director (administrator) for you, but profs don't care.
7. a great way to waste money.

well, almost surely true for Columbia. Not CMU; CMU is great.

I am facing the same delimma. Choosing between Cmu (with scholarship) with cornell(small scholarship) and Columbia(no scholarship). With the same program... Any advice?

Back