• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Anyone heard of Master of Applied Analytics from Columbia U?

cornell has a smallest class among the three. you may get more attention, time, and help from faculty and staff including the career person.

cornell has a smallest class among the three. you may get more attention, time, and help from faculty and staff including the career person.

Thanks for your reply! How about Cornell location? It is going to be a problem in terms of finding jobs? Also I think Cmu has the highest ranking (based on the program) among the three, do you think that's an advantage?

By default, CMU/Berkeley would have better students (more experienced) than Cornell ..so the horizontal learning curve (from peers) will be better. However, I would always choose a program with smaller class size as you get the opportunity to be mentored by a good faculty and form connections. Rankings are bollocks, take it with a grain of salt. If it's in the top 6 good enough...scratch the surface and seek what would best fit your needs. Cornell has good reputation in NYC and as a University fairs better than CMU if not for the particular program.

Thanks for your reply! How about Cornell location? It is going to be a problem in terms of finding jobs? Also I think Cmu has the highest ranking (based on the program) among the three, do you think that's an advantage?

Thank you all for the inputs.
I've decided not to accept the offer.
It is indeed a waste of time and MONEY, even it's a program from an Ivy League (still can't believe I just said that) lol

It is indeed a waste of time and MONEY, even it's a program from an Ivy League (still can't believe I just said that) lol
Hi Rebelex, I wish you had decided to accept the offer. I finished my bachelors at a small liberal arts school in Texas less than a year ago, and I also was offered admission to this program. I have been working as a data analyst making around 70K a year having finished my Bachelors in December. Data Analysts with SQL, Python and R skills are in high demand. First consider that the prestige of a Columbia university program will grow over time. Second, consider the increase in pay scale if you find a position in data management. You can make over 100K when you move from an analyst position to a director position. Third, 70K is a lot of money to pay back, and I too accepted the federal loan, but the pay scale of a directorship will allow you to pay back the loan much quicker than your preconception will have you believe, and there is no penalty for paying back a federal education loan early. Say you find a 100k directorship, and in your studies you managed to work to pay 20k and borrowed 50k. You could pay back the loan in 10 Years with a monthly payment of about $500, while making at least 8300 a month, before taxes. It becomes very possible to pay back the loan much sooner and save on interest. Next time enrollment comes around, consider it, Rebelex.

Or, maybe you're already a director. I don't know your life.

facts about School of Prof'l Studies (feel free to debate with facts, or contact Columbia to ask for clarification:
Contact | Columbia University School of Professional Studies
Applied Analytics
appliedanalytics@sps.columbia.edu)

1. very low admissions standard means high acceptance rate and low reputation.
2. columbia is notorious for redirecting rejected applicants to lower-tier programs (e.g. MFE to MSOR). Now they're channeling them out to other schools within the university.
3. no access to on-campus career services, or on-campus recruiting events.
4. most if not all courses are taught by adjuncts (practitioners who're moonlighting to teach), not by tenure-track professors.
5. you may not be able to talk to the instructors b/c there may be no office hours at all!
6. no academic advising by tenure-track professors. there may be a program director (administrator) for you, but profs don't care.
7. a great way to waste money.

StupidSoul, how did you come about this info? Is the acceptance rate high for MS Applied Analytics or the School in general? And what's "high?"

StupidSoul, how did you come about this info? Is the acceptance rate high for MS Applied Analytics or the School in general? And what's "high?"

All "professionals studies" or "continuing education" graduate programs are easy to get into. If you meet the requirements (i.e., GPA above a certain level), you get in. They tend to be okay programs, but very overpriced. They won't get you a job but may help you advance once you are already have one.

I wouldn't pay over $10-15k for any of these masters programs.

Hi Rebelex, I wish you had decided to accept the offer. I finished my bachelors at a small liberal arts school in Texas less than a year ago, and I also was offered admission to this program. I have been working as a data analyst making around 70K a year having finished my Bachelors in December. Data Analysts with SQL, Python and R skills are in high demand. First consider that the prestige of a Columbia university program will grow over time. Second, consider the increase in pay scale if you find a position in data management. You can make over 100K when you move from an analyst position to a director position. Third, 70K is a lot of money to pay back, and I too accepted the federal loan, but the pay scale of a directorship will allow you to pay back the loan much quicker than your preconception will have you believe, and there is no penalty for paying back a federal education loan early. Say you find a 100k directorship, and in your studies you managed to work to pay 20k and borrowed 50k. You could pay back the loan in 10 Years with a monthly payment of about $500, while making at least 8300 a month, before taxes. It becomes very possible to pay back the loan much sooner and save on interest. Next time enrollment comes around, consider it, Rebelex.

Or, maybe you're already a director. I don't know your life.

Jayliv, I too am considering the program now and would like to hear how about your experience

Have you recently reconsidered the above? What drove you to this conclusion? I am considering the program and struggling to decide what would be a great option. I am also a candidate for EECS at Berkeley.

Back