• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Application advice

I'm applying to Chicago's MSFM this winter. Before my questions, here is some info about me:
  • DePaul University undergrad (Math & Econ)
  • Overall GPA: 3.96 || Math GPA: 4.00
  • By the application deadline I'll have completed:
    • 1 yr prob & stats
    • 1 yr abstract algebra
    • 1 yr real analysis
    • 1 yr actuarial (interest theory & life annuities)
    • linear regression, adv. linear algebra, numerical analysis (maple), topology, basic SAS, ODE, complex analysis, combinatorics, others.
    • C++ I, II (ended shortly after starting pointers)
  • Passed actuarial exam P with 10/10 and expect to pass FM before application.
  • No relevant work experience
  • Econ research assistantship at DePaul (for what it's worth)
  • Math research assistantship to be completed this coming summer at U of C in point-set topology
Here are my questions:

1) I was a terrible student out of high school, transferred a few times and took a couple years off. By the time I apply I'll be 27, so it will have taken me 8-9 years to graduate with a BSc. Obviously this looks horrendous, any advice on how I should frame this in the application essay?

2) How much does the application committee care (if at all) about passing actuarial exams? Should I try to pass MFE (derivatives) or just focus on getting a higher percentile on the Math GRE?

3) Are there any specific math courses that I should be looking to take?

4) Given my sketchy past, if you were me, what would you be doing to up your chances of being taken seriously?

1) Don't dwell on the past. The chance that you can make it worse trying to explain/spin it is higher than making it better. Focus on the present and show you are prepared and determined to excel in grad school.
2) Very little attention will be paid on non-essential exam/cert that is not directly relevant to Financial engineering field. Your time is much better spend on programming (there are a lot more than stuff after C++ pointers), math courses (do you have all the required courses?), finding a relevant internship before the program start.
3) Inquire directly with Chicago program.
4) You ask here on Quantnet so you are likely to be a serious applicant. Look at the Tracker and see the profiles/background of those getting admitted from Chicago. See how you compare to them and find way to make yourself more attractive.

Back