• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MAFN application question

Hi all

I'm on my last semester of graduate studies and looking to apply for a financial
engineering program. I thought to apply for the FE in IEOR but when I had time
to start application it has already passed the deadline(12/15). Then I found
there's a Mathematics in Finance program, which has a different curriculum than
the MFE. It looks that they have close connection with the stat department. They
refused to tell me the placement data. but told me the graduates can work as quant analysts.

I have a question about the application, specifically the gpa section. My undergraduate
school does not provide a cumulative gpa. Can I just leave it blank or put a 0.00?

Thanks in advance.

not trying to be rude, but why don't you just ask the school?

They refused to tell me the placement data. but told me the graduates can work as quant analysts.
What kind of data did you ask exactly? How did they answer it?
I have a question about the application, specifically the gpa section. My undergraduate school does not provide a cumulative gpa. Can I just leave it blank or put a 0.00?
Depends on the application system, you may leave it blank. In fact, I have seen many applicants on Embark system that did not enter their GPA.

What kind of data did you ask exactly? How did they answer it?

Depends on the application system, you may leave it blank. In fact, I have seen many applicants on Embark system that did not enter their GPA.
I see. Thanks a lot.

... maybe I don't know what I'm talking about?

my point was that you should be very wary of a program that refuses to tell you what you might get out of it. you're paying them for a service, and they should be more forthcoming.

maybe ivy would never worry about placement. so they wouldn't condescend to put those data on their website, like others do..
columbia does not require GRE or GMAT, and many items generally required by other mfes. this is also a difference.

maybe ivy would never worry about placement. so they wouldn't condescend to put those data on their website, like others do..

hah, yes, i'm sure that's it.

bleat bleat. baaah.

Having tried to contact the Columbia MAFN coordinators myself, I find that they usually have curt responses and don't really look to help out those applying. Regarding the GPA question, it's probably better to call up the GSAS admissions department that handles the application form. That helped for one of my queries.

In terms of placements, you'll notice some other threads where someone was kind enough to dig through linkedin and post the kind of job profiles Columbia MAFN alum are now posted in.

Back