• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Applying to Mathematical Finance Graduate Programs, Need Help with Personal Statements

Hello. I am graduating with my BS in Mathematics next month and I am looking to apply to Math Finance graduate programs. My problem is that for the majority of my undergraduate career, I prepared for applying to PhD programs in pure mathematics. So I have a lot of pure mathematics classes, I did 2 REUs in pure mathematics, attended conferences and symposiums to present my research. I have a 3.9 GPA and the past two terms I have been trying to take more applied classes ( a lot of statistics).

I am having trouble trying to bridge my pure math background to being relevant to a Mathematical Finance program. I have zero finance experience and I am not very familiar with what a finance job would look like after I graduate, so I am having hard articulating my aspirations. My switch to an industry focused program is because I have become interested in personal finance as of late and I, honestly, I want to make more money than academia can provide and have more freedom in where I end up living.

Should I bring up my REU experience in my personal statement, even though it was in pure mathematics? How do I try and justify an interest in a field, when I don't have mush knowledge of it? I feel like most people don't have a deep understanding of math finance until they get into one of these programs, so I feel like any answer I come up with will seem ignorant and superficial.

Back