• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Applying to MFE Programs in NYC

I'm planning to apply to some MFE programs in NYC (Carnegie Mellon would my goal), but I have been out of school for several years. I graduated with a degree in Computer Science, and afterwards, I worked for an IB, and now I'm in a hedge fund. My path to finance is slightly different than a lot of people's, since I didn't take any finance classes in undergrad (although I did take calc and probability based calc in college, so I have some knowledge of the math/probability needed), and any working knowledge I have is solely from the industry. So my questions are below:

- Do I have a decent chance of getting accepted into a MFE program despite the fact that I majored in comp sci? Does work experience weigh heavily at all? I know I will be going against students who took math/finance in undergrad, and some may already have master's and PhDs in the field, so if I don't have a good chance, what can I do to improve the likelihood of getting accepted?
- I have the opportunity to take a summer session class in calculus based probability at Columbia (just as a refresher). I am aware that summer session classes, particularly continuing education, don't necessarily hold the same prestige as an actual graduate course, as the admissions process is much more lax. Therefore, would it be worth my time/money to attend this class? Or would MOOCs be acceptable as well?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, Actually, i'am facing to the same problem. I have been working Since 7 years in french companies. And now, i would like to re-orientate myself into finance. I originally major in french engineering school in 2007. Math wont be a problem for me since i still continue to teach at high school in math. However, i have no background in finance.

So, i am wondering if i have a chance to be accepted. I am preparing GMAT as well.

I am 33 years old.

what advise could you give to me? Thanks in advance for your answer.

that depends on your GRE, essays and reference letters.

Thanks for the info. My main concern is that my academic background in mathematics/finance isn't as robust as some of the other applicants. Its good to know that strong recommendations and a high GRE can offset any shortcomings in my application.

Thanks for the info. My main concern is that my academic background in mathematics/finance isn't as robust as some of the other applicants. Its good to know that strong recommendations and a high GRE can offset any shortcomings in my application.
I have a BS in CS and got into CMU. So I would not worry too much

Back