• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE are part-time programs with higher acceptance rate?

I 've seen a program making it clear on its website that full-time and part-time use same standards but not sure for the most others. some facts: 1 part-time candidates pool far smaller without intl students 2 maybe not an excellent analogy: for MBA programs, there are typically large differences in acceptance rates and admitted candidates' scores between full and part time groups. But such analysis might simplify things and clueless it's possible part time (or online) enrolls less students compared with full time??

An acceptance rate is simply admitted/applied. Part-time programs would generally have a higher number. The number is also not that useful.
They use the same acceptance criteria. The acceptance is thus "sorted" first by meeting the criteria, then by other attributes of the candidates.
Acceptance rate is a metric of lower importance, since it is also a function of population. The top program in Los Angeles (4M pop) should have a lower acceptance rate than the top program in Lausanne (140K pop). Yet, arguable studying there in Switzerland institution is just as good if not better than studying in LA.

An acceptance rate is simply admitted/applied. Part-time programs would generally have a higher number. The number is also not that useful.
They use the same acceptance criteria. The acceptance is thus "sorted" first by meeting the criteria, then by other attributes of the candidates.
Acceptance rate is a metric of lower importance, since it is also a function of population. The top program in Los Angeles (4M pop) should have a lower acceptance rate than the top program in Lausanne (140K pop). Yet, arguable studying there in Switzerland institution is just as good if not better than studying in LA.
Well thx for your response, by putting the question, I am weighing if worthy to apply the part time or online options for larger chance to be admitted. So thx for sharing us the info! From searched stats, like released MBA data I can see the differences that a huge discrepancy exists, but there are sort of opacity in terms of MFE admissions. I guess the demand for part time MFE is weak so there is one pool, not two pools? From all admitted students, maybe a few of them need longer study period with less credits each semester and to be called part time student? How did you get the info that acceptance rates differ in modes?? anyway there 's very limited relevant discussions online.

The best thing to do is to just apply and see what happens. You can ask each school if/how you can apply for both the full-time and part-time options, and what considerations they take with your application in those cases. My main stance on MFEs is that you need the ability not the university name. Go anywhere with proper curriculum, and only go to country X if that is the location you want to work, and an MFE is the fastest/easiest way to work in country X.

The best thing to do is to just apply and see what happens. You can ask each school if/how you can apply for both the full-time and part-time options, and what considerations they take with your application in those cases. My main stance on MFEs is that you need the ability not the university name. Go anywhere with proper curriculum, and only go to country X if that is the location you want to work, and an MFE is the fastest/easiest way to work in country X.
Thx for your advice and your words are really helpful! To me the campus experiences definitely mean a lot, but I need to be enrolled at least to access to the amazing learning resources and big names for branding.

I'm sorry to bother you again, so is that a truth of the difference in numbers?? have you participated in the admission work, so you have hands on experiences??

I'm sorry to bother you again, so is that a truth of the difference in numbers?? have you participated in the admission work, so you have hands on experiences??
No. I haven't participated in admission. I've stated that generally a school in a highly populated area will have more applicants that in a lower populated area. I hope that isn't so farfetched that I need to hunt down a datasource for it. You can do the search yourself if you need to. Very easy Google search. Stop psyching yourself out. If you have the money, apply everywhere. If not divide your applications carefully. Acceptance rate is a POOR indicator of the curriculum's rigor. But if you want to chase the lowest acceptance rate school to get such an accomplishment under your belt, go for it.

13.NUMBER OF APPLICANTS
36632 - Stanford
17200 - Oxford

1.ADMISSION RATE
6.6% - Stanford
17% - Oxford

Oxford is way more prestigious. Stanford gets more applicants.

Oxford is in Oxfordshire County: 2600 square kilometers, which is a ~51km by 51km square, or a 28km radius
- 2600 square km = 51km by 51km = 31.6 miles by 31.6 miles
- 2600 square km = 28k radius = 17.3 mile radius
- 687K people live in Oxfordshire

Stanford is in a larger county in California. So we will just ask the following question:
- Can we find more people within 31.6 miles?
- Yes. San Jose, CA is 22.3 miles away, driving not straight line, with a population of 1 million
- Yes. San Francisco is 32 miles away, driving - not straight line, with a population of 800K

Stanford has a LOWER acceptance rate partially because of POPULATION.
Oxford is arguably as good or better than Stanford, (~800years older) yet ~3X the acceptance rate.

Who would ever say, oh no Oxford is much worse because of acceptance rate?

No. I haven't participated in admission. I've stated that generally a school in a highly populated area will have more applicants that in a lower populated area. I hope that isn't so farfetched that I need to hunt down a datasource for it. You can do the search yourself if you need to. Very easy Google search. Stop psyching yourself out. If you have the money, apply everywhere. If not divide your applications carefully. Acceptance rate is a POOR indicator of the curriculum's rigor. But if you want to chase the lowest acceptance rate school to get such an accomplishment under your belt, go for it.

13.NUMBER OF APPLICANTS
36632 - Stanford
17200 - Oxford

1.ADMISSION RATE
6.6% - Stanford
17% - Oxford

Oxford is in Oxfordshire County: 2600 square kilometers, which is a ~51km by 51km square, or a 28km radius

Stanford is in a larger county in California. So we will just ask the following question:
- Yes. San Jose, CA is 22.3 miles away, driving not straight line, with a population of 1 million
- Yes. San Francisco is 32 miles away, driving - not straight line, with a population of 800K

Oxford is arguably as good or better than Stanford, (~800years older) yet ~3X the acceptance rate.

Thx for your info and data! since there may be no quota for part time MFE enrollment, the standards applied look the same and so does the acceptance rate. MBA differs i guess due to its own quota for the part time MBA each year?

13.NUMBER OF APPLICANTS
36632 - Stanford
17200 - Oxford

1.ADMISSION RATE
6.6% - Stanford
17% - Oxford

I'd just like to point out that part of the reason Oxford's acceptance rate is higher (and why it gets less applicants) is because you can't apply to both it and Cambridge in the same year.

Back