• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Attrition rates

After discussing different programs, I would like to raise a question: what is the percentage of MFE students who fail to graduate on time?

If you don't mind I will also like to ask if there are any provisions for students wishing to stay longer to graduate in say 1.5 years instead of the dedicated 1 year time frame?

For example, can you chose to say for 8months at your intership instead of 4months ?

After discussing different programs, I would like to raise a question: what is the percentage of MFE students who fail to graduate on time?
Attrition rate by definition is the fraction of students who drop out of the program, not those stay longer for various reasons. I don't believe programs disclose this number but I have seen Baruch MFE mention 15-20% attrition rate back in 2008. Not sure what the current situation is.
If you don't mind I will also like to ask if there are any provisions for students wishing to stay longer to graduate in say 1.5 years instead of the dedicated 1 year time frame?

For example, can you chose to say for 8months at your intership instead of 4months ?
Columbia MFE is one year program but has a 3rd semester optional for those wishing to stay longer (can't find internship or job after graduation, OPT reason, etc). Some students (myself included) decide to go part-time during the third semester because they got a FT job prior to graduation.
As long as you taking full-time credit under F1 visa rule, it does not pose any problem if you want to stay extra term. You may have to take courses that are not needed for graduation just to fill the 12-credit/semester rule.

Back