• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

B-school Confidential: MBAs May Be Obsolete

Columbia is expensive

Columbia = expensive.

CQF is not cheap either but they give discounts to students.

One of my friends went for an interview, he was advised CQF is a good program.

If you want to study mathematics, you can always go to any good mathematics school like NYU or even Washington University has a great stats department. I think Financial Mathematics is a practical subject because it relates to industry. I think to learn from the industry is the best solution before going for academic.

Cheers,
K

CQF is more for industry professionals. I want to increase my academic knowledge, and then, maybe, apply what I learn.

Gus, thanks a lot for the link!

$3,500 is not very expensive if it is for 1 whole semester. I used to pay around $5,000 at CMU (two minis $2,500 each).

In light of these costs, I just love the fact that Baruch charges much less :) even out-state tuition.

It's $3716 per class. Still, it's the only option I have in New Mexico.

Oct 2 2007
By Jon Jacobs
link: http://news.efinancialcareers.com/NEWS_ITEM/newsItemId-11512

Interrupting a Wall Street career to earn an MBA is no longer an automatic choice. But can a top-school MBA ever actually hurt a candidate? In some circumstances, the answer could be yes.

A new academic year began in September, and with it came a new campus recruiting season. As recruiters renew the annual ritual of courting MBA candidates, graduate programs in business are falling under a media spotlight via the competing rankings published by The Wall Street Journal, U.S. News and World Report, BusinessWeek and other publications.

However, the New York Times upstaged the widely followed rankings with a Sept. 16th story that declared MBA degrees increasingly irrelevant to the most promising career tracks on Wall Street and in fund management.

It's not exactly news that more aspiring bankers and portfolio managers find it hard to justify leaving high-paying jobs to pursue a graduate business degree. Indeed, eFC readers often say just that when they comment on our articles.

But the Times story goes further. It suggests that in some situations, an employer might view even a Harvard MBA as signaling not elite intelligence, but an early-career setback that forced an applicant to take such a detour.

That's the view of 28-year old hedge fund manager Gabriel Hammond, who left Goldman Sachs to launch Alerian Capital Management in 2004. Hammond tells the Times that, if faced with a job candidate who'd gone through Goldman's two-year analyst program and then attended Harvard Business School, he would suspect the person must have done something "wrong" to miss out on promotion at Goldman or an attractive slot in a private equity or hedge fund.

Indeed, the Times observes that "(instead) of pushing all their young employees into M.B.A. programs," leading investment banks now "are telling the best ones to stay put."

For instance, Citigroup's campus recruiting chief estimates that only about 50 percent of Citi's analyst classes end up attending business school now, compared with 85 to 90 percent some 15 years ago. In a similar vein, Credit Suisse's U.S. recruiting head, 28-year old Julie Kalish, told the paper, "Strong performers we want to keep at the firm for as long as possible. The amount of analysts that we try to keep for the associate promotion process has grown over recent years."

That goes double for hedge funds, though MBA degrees never carried much weight in those to begin with. "If someone is doing well at a hedge fund, they absolutely do not encourage their employees to go off to business school," Glocap executive Adam Zoia said.

On the other hand, the Times says an MBA can open doors for people coming from an international background, career changers, and others aiming to break into finance. An MBA also carries weight for management consulting and for management careers in many large corporations. There were 142,600 MBA degrees granted in 2005, nearly twice as many as in 1991.

What's more, recent surveys suggest that corporate America continues to recruit new MBAs as aggressively as ever. Richard Schmalensee, former dean of the M.I.T. Sloan School of Management, told the Times: "I don't think you will see M.B.A.'s less represented in executive suites, but you may see M.B.A.'s less represented in the lists of the world's richest people."

What a dumb article. If the author has to use Kenneth Griffin and Eddie Lampert, both undergrad economics grads, as examples of "quants forgoeing MBAs for quick riches" (paraphrasing), her argument seems like a bith of a stretch.

MBA is not dead

it remains an expectation that if you are in an "analyst" program at a bank, that you go and get your MBA. That has not changed.

Back