• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Barron's Challenge

I was reading Barron's magazine yesterday, and found that they are having a trading challenge for students and professors starting October 30th 2006. The prizes are not so high as an IB Olympiad, however it doesn't takes much effort to participate. You wouldn't need to write any code to trade. All trades are manual and there is a limit of 75 trades total during the challenge. I think, everyone who has an hour or so of free time should participate. The more our students are there, the more chances that someone will hit the top prize, and it will benefit our program in general and your resume particularly.

For official rules and registration go to:
http://www.barronschallenge.com/

You will have to give them your estimate of Dow, S&P500, and NASDAQ on March 30 2007 during registration.

The number of participants is limited to 200.000 I believe, so don't wait till the last day of registration.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the information.

I've registered.

Thanks Max.
Registered as well. I filled as following
School: Baruch College
Major: Financial Engineering
Refering professor: Dan Stefanica

let publicize as much as we can about our MFE program :)

The DJ, SP500, NASDAQ estimates are called filters. In case of ties, the student with the estimates closest to the closing values that day will get the prize.

In all, I think this is a very fun way to build a portfolio, learn and win some money \:D/

Andy said:
Registered as well. I filled as following
School: Baruch College
Major: Financial Engineering
Refering professor: Dan Stefanica

I filled exactly the same way :smt043

Securities that can be Traded

You may buy, sell, sell short, and short cover almost all stocks (common and preferred) and Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) that are listed on NYSE, NASDAQ, or AMEX and that are trading at $5.00 or more per share. You can not buy or sell short any stock that is, at that time, trading at less than $5.00 per share; but you may sell or short cover any stock in your account that falls below $5.00 per share. Initial public offerings (IPOs) are usually available the afternoon that the new stock starts trading on the exchanges.

Is there a specific reason to the bolded statement? Also, is it generally true for trades on the NYSE, NASDAQ or AMEX?

Sangfroid said:
Securities that can be Traded

Is there a specific reason to the bolded statement? Also, is it generally true for trades on the NYSE, NASDAQ or AMEX?

No, they just don't want you to trade this kind of stocks, which have a very high variance. The reason is that they want to make this contest not just a lottery. For the same reason, I guess, they won't let you trade options.

Back