• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch biz plan competition: join my team?

anittah

MS Stats
Hi everyone,

I am entering the Baruch business plan competition and am looking for fellow team members who want to WIN the prize money and maybe even stay on after to be part of the launch team. Take a look at the roster I'm forming and if you're interested let me know! Please feel free also to forward along to qualified parties.

The company will be entering within the social entrepreneurship track. A similar yet inferior company sold for $32MM in mid-September.

We:

- Are currently a team of two people in the social entrepreneurship track (the other team member is a social psychology doctoral candidate at Columbia whose research is relevant to the initiative)
- Believe that free markets function best when consumers have what they need to make smart decisions
- Really, really like winning

I:

- Have spent the past decade in online marketing
- Spent three years while an undergrad teaching mathematics to middle-schoolers
- Am currently pursuing an MS in Stats at Baruch

Interested parties should ping me here on Quantnet or @ anittah.patrick@baruchmail.cuny.edu =)

** CTO needed **

You:

- Like to win
- Are comfortable with PHP, CSS, etc.
- Can integrate VBulletin or similar open source software into a WordPress platform
- Can build quizzes and interactive learning modules from wireframes, flowcharts, copy decks, etc.
- Have an understanding of back-end MIS needs and can build databases accordingly
- Have at least 2-3 examples of your work (screen shots of archived projects acceptable)
- Might be interested in staying on post-competition for an equity stake
- Are preferably a current student at CUNY Baruch, in NYU's ITP program, or at Cooper Union

** Creative Director needed **

You:

- Like to win
- Are preferably a current student at CUNY Baruch, SVA, Cooper Union, or NYU
- Will own the look & feel of the company website, including the logo
- Will oversee the development of multimedia assets
- Bonus points if you can edit and own the development of short (<10 minute) clips
- Have tweaked WordPress templates / are confident that you can skin via CSS
- Have a portfolio of 2-3 assets (at least) that show your range
- May or may not have piercings and/or brightly colored hair (not required; doesn't hurt)

** Mathematics Curriculum Director needed **

You:

- Like to win
- Are passionate about making math accessible and interesting to a wide range of people
- Have taught, even if only through summer programs, middle school math
- Are creative and feel comfortable leveraging emerging technologies within education
- Suspect that most people don't graduate from high school with a strong enough background in basic consumer finance
- Are kind of a math nerd who is enthusiastic about numbers and maybe does long division for fun
- Are preferably a student in Mathematics Education at City College, Hunter College, Brooklyn College, Lehman College, Queens College, College of Staten Island, CUNY Baruch, or Columbia
- Will own and develop web-based interactive learning modules to teach consumers the ins and outs of a particular aspect of consumer lending
- Do NOT need to be an expert in that particular aspect of consumer lending

** Multimedia Manager needed **

You:

- Like to win
- Will work directly with the Creative Director to formulate the look and feel of embedded learning modules
- Will shoot, direct, edit, and straight-up own all video clips
- Have 2-3 examples of projects you've worked on
- May or may not have piercings and/or brightly colored hair (not required; doesn't hurt)
- Ideally have podcasting experience
- Are preferably a current student at SVA, NYU Tisch, Columbia, City College, CUNY Baruch, or Brooklyn College

** Finance Manager needed **

You:

- Will take ownership of the financial projections and keep my forecasts honest
- Will be able to advise on the structure of equity arrangements
- Are open to the idea of maintaining involvement post-competition in exchange for equity
- Are preferably a current student at CUNY Baruch, NYU, or Columbia

** College Marketing Manager needed **

You:

- Are currently an undergraduate junior, preferably at CUNY Baruch, NYU, or Columbia
- Are a "people person" who has no problem going up to people to interview them
- Are interested in learning more / have conducted field research / focus groups
- Understand the pulse of the 18 - 24 youth market
- Are interested in marketing as a career and want to learn from a veteran
- Have great written and oral communication skills
- Want to win!!

** Public Policy Manager needed **

- Are a public policy student preferably at CUNY Baruch, NYU (Wagner), or Columbia
- Are interested in issues related to consumer finance / banking
- Will research legislation and policy initiatives surrounding consumer lending, particularly within a particular niche
- Are open to the idea of formally formulating a policy position and reaching out to legislators
- Feel comfortable with the idea of speaking to the press regarding policy matters
- Have great written and oral communication skills
- Might consider staying on post-competition for an equity stake
- Want to win!!

Thanks to Quantnet (holla!) two of these positions have now been filled, but we're still on the hunt for a few good humans. Send my way if you know any :)

• CTO
  • Mathematics Curriculum Director
  • Multimedia Manager (though have zeroed in on a candidate for this ...)
  • College Marketing Manager
  • Public Policy Manager
Once we launch / get funding we'll probably need someone who can identify arbitrage opportunities as well. Oops, have I said too much ? ;)

Sounds like fun (mostly the multimedia part ;) ) I suppose if I had more time to dedicate I'd jump in. I ran a small tech company for 8 years before starting at Baruch MFE.

In the Baruch College and ML competition there are two tracks for participants: Traditional Entrepreneurship, which focuses on profit-making; Social Entrepreneurship, which focuses on social benefit. Especially those who is doing Social Entrepreneurship project can apply the same project for Google's (Project 10^{100}) competition.

Check it here: Project 10 to the 100th

The interesting fact is that (according to CNN) ideas such as the Hippo Water Roller Google cited as the kind of concept the company would be interested in rewarding.
Check Hippo Water Roller here: Hippo Water Roller

Criteria:
Reach: How many people would this idea affect?
Depth: How deeply are people impacted? How urgent is the need?
Attainability: Can this idea be implemented within a year or two?
Efficiency: How simple and cost-effective is your idea?
Longevity: How long will the idea's impact last?

Are All The Positions Filled?

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I wanted to know if all the positions all filled, and if they are not all filled, what positions remain still available? I would be very interested in working on this project or possibly even submitting my own business model. I have recently written a new model that I believe would work very well for this competition. Do you have to be in college to submit a model?

If there are positions available can you please PM to let me know. I check the boards pretty often, but at times I miss things... So would appreciate the PM just to make sure everything goes well.

AOGLOBALENT

You should probably just email Anittha directly, as her email is given in the post.

Rules and regs are also linked directly at the top of the first post, so that will answer your question about eligibility.

Back