• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch Finance Pre-req Strictness

Is it a deal breaker if you've never taken intro finance and have no work experience? Their website makes it sound that way.

Yea, I have a general understanding of the markets and terminology just no academic background in finance

I can't speak for the Program Director, but as a faculty member I can say that it calls into question your commitment to finance.
I'm asking more if my application would be considered at all. I took the last year to enroll full-time in a pre-mfe and did 3 summer courses as well so I'm hoping that will show my commitment to pursuing an MFE.

The finance Baruch MFE requirement is one undergraduate finance class. Without that and without work experience, you would have to make a very strong case to be considered for admission. Should an interview take place, we would make sure not only that you know the fundamentals (for examle options, put-call parity), but understand them well.

The finance Baruch MFE requirement is one undergraduate finance class. Without that and without work experience, you would have to make a very strong case to be considered for admission. Should an interview take place, we would make sure not only that you know the fundamentals (for examle options, put-call parity), but understand them well.
Thanks so much for the information.

@dstefan
Assuming it is my first Finance class, Is it acceptable to be enrolled in Intro Finance courses at community college this upcoming spring, and apply for admission this upcoming Fall at the same time?
How about with the C++ certificate?
I guess I am asking 'have you historically given conditional offers of admission?' Eg. Accepting students on the condition that they complete a prerequisite before they can enroll?

Back