• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!
Baruch College - Master in Financial Engineering

Baruch MFE Baruch MFE Admission Discussion

• Thread starter Thread starter Sachin
  • Start date Start date
Thanks Alain and Sachin

I emailed Student service centre and they said the amount 29881$ (which is 1 year expenses) is just fine to get I-20. But during visa interview, I guess we need to show 60$ to avoid problems associated with VISA.

Hi guys,

Just got formally admitted. My name is Shlomi, I am from Israel cant wait to see you guys next year...

Bye,
Shlomi

It is really great to see a community like this Professor, Directors and students for the program...!! I am applying to Baruch for Fall 2009. Hope I make it...!!

Thanks,

Kshitij

I have few questions regarding 2009 fall admission-

1. I am planning to do the online math and statistics pre program course offered by University of California,Berkeley. I am thinking this will improve my chances of admission.( I am applying only in Baruch and is planning to do the course as part time). But if I wait to complete this course, it will be too close to the application deadline in April. Is there any advantage in applying early? Should I wait to complete this course or submit my application right away?

2. I am currently working for a global software service company, and is involved in a project with one of the leading investment banks in New York. Can I get the recommendation letter from my client?

1. I think you can apply sooner and say that you are enrolled in the course now.

2. As long as they are willing to write it, seems like a good thing.

MSQF at Fordham

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to get into this program. Is a GMAT of 620(46Q 30V) good enough ?, 3 years work experience in Information Technology working with Financial clients in the US

MJ.

I guest your best bet to this type of info would be to contact the Fordham program directly and ask for their latest admission stats. Ask them to publish the admitted students profile online so you can see how your stats compare to them. Email their director(s) directly for input.

Instead of cold contacting current/former students, I was wondering if current/former students/applicants of Baruch MFE can share their experiences throughout the admission process. Also, how long did it take to receive your admission decision? How did your interview go with Dr. Stefanica?

Truth be told, most of the student profiles of the past three classes are quite intimidating and since my past performance and work experience are irreversible and incontestable facts and the letters of recommendation are out of my hands, what is one advice you'd give to current applicants? Thanks in advance.

Actually, no need to cold call students; if you contact the program they will give you a willing person to talk to.

I waited a month or two for an admissions decision; the interview was uneventful. Having compared notes with other students, the interviews can be quite varied.

Thanks for sharing the link and your experience Andy. It's unfortunate that my location can not afford me to waltz into the department tomorrow or sit in for a lecture. It seems many of you had personal contacts with the program as an applicant. Does Baruch have outreach events outside New York City?

I don't think Baruch has any plan for US cities tour marketing events like a few other programs out there that are under the business school. (UCB, UCLA)
If you are to apply to any program, it's always advisable to come visit the people there and talk to students, sit in the class. That's one way to get the real "vibe" of the program instead of looking at flashy website, brochures.
Take a vacation to NYC and kill two birds with one stone. The local economy can use some of your money here.
A good number of applicants are working, living in tri-state so it works out for lot of people. You can however join the monthly online chat with the director, one of which is coming up in Jan 8th, 2009.
http://www.quantnet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=770

hey, I just ran into a problem. when I signed on to the online Baruch application, I noticed that my recommendations that were submitted are not there anymore. When I look back to the email I received, it says that the recommendations were sent for the year 2008, where now the application is for 2009. I thought the application was for 2009 when my professors submitted the recommendations in late November. is there a way to retrieve the letters? My professors are away cannot resubmit the letters.

awesome that worked. but if i submit it through the 2008 application page, will it be okay for fall 2009 admissions?

My understanding is that the system will redirect you to the latest version regardless of when you submit it. If you applied in 2008, you can either use the 2009 version or go back to 2008 version to complete some missing steps. Once you are in the system, you are ok.

1. I think you can apply sooner and say that you are enrolled in the course now.

2. As long as they are willing to write it, seems like a good thing.

I concur with both pieces of advice.

My understanding is that the system will redirect you to the latest version regardless of when you submit it. If you applied in 2008, you can either use the 2009 version or go back to 2008 version to complete some missing steps. Once you are in the system, you are ok.

This should work, indeed. If you need further help, you can send an email to baruch.mfe@gmail.com

Back