• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Becoming a trader: MBA vs. MFE

I find this whole notion of "become a quant so that you can be a trader in 2 years" rather utterly pointless. Traders are hired through trading summer internships, period. I won't ever understand why people would want to sign up for extra 2 years of pain-in-the-ass MFE to do extra 2 years of crazy maths at a bank to MAYBE eventually become a trader.

I find this whole notion of "become a quant so that you can be a trader in 2 years" rather utterly pointless. Traders are hired through trading summer internships, period. I won't ever understand why people would want to sign up for extra 2 years of pain-in-the-ass MFE to do extra 2 years of crazy maths at a bank to MAYBE eventually become a trader.

Some MFE graduates go into trading, and they have a considerable (knowledge) advantage over those who went straight from undergrad.

Some MFE graduates go into trading, and they have a considerable (knowledge) advantage over those who went straight from undergrad.

That might be true. I was just pointing out that trading knowledge for the majority of products can be picked up on the job, and having done an MFE and worked as a quant for 2 years won't give you the required trading skills, nor will it make you a better trader. Yes you can perhaps understand the underlying models better, but I doubt that will translate into pnl.

That might be true. I was just pointing out that trading knowledge for the majority of products can be picked up on the job, and having done an MFE and worked as a quant for 2 years won't give you the required trading skills, nor will it make you a better trader. Yes you can perhaps understand the underlying models better, but I doubt that will translate into pnl.

It sounds like you're thinking of a particular type of trader and trading.

Back