Beginner Java book for soon to be NYU MSMF student

Hi all ~

Have been a lurker here and have found the information in this forum to be incredibly useful as I prepared my application for the NYU Ms in Math in Finance program. I will be starting the program on a part time basis in a few weeks this fall -- very excited -- so, THANK YOU for all the advice contained in this board!

A question -- I have a fairly strong math background (though a bit rusty since I graduated from undergrad 6 years ago, I have been busy refreshing my undergrad classes in multi-calc, linear algebra, and stats) but also want to try to pick up some programming knowledge in the next few weeks before classes begin. I am going to start out with Computation in Finance and Derivative Securities this fall -- any advice on what I should focus on in the time I have left before classes start?

I know computation in finance is Java based so I've been trying to begin learning Java (I have very little prior programming experience). My neighbor who is a professional programmer lent me his copy of Thinking in Java though so far I have found it quite dense and difficult to get through (considering that "your first Java program" only shows up on page 78!!). On the other hand, my brother in law lent me his copy of Starting out with JAVA by Tony Gaddis which he used in an intro to comp sci course last year. This book seems much more basic but a little slow -- maybe too basic? I've begun working through the first few chapters at least.

That said, I'm starting to think that I could use something in between. I went to Barnes and Noble today and found Ivor Horton's Beginning Java which seems like a quicker paced beginners book. Any thoughts on this book or any other suggestions for how to get a little bit more up to speed with Java?

Lastly, would love any advice or suggestions regarding the NYU program in general, any other texts I should try to look over before classes begin in a few weeks, etc.

Thanks so much in advance!

Both Gaddis and Horton are good. Either will do the trick for the purposes of computational finance. Sedgewick and Wayne also have a book on the subject, but it's more oriented towards algorithm analysis.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks bigbadwolf and Polter --

The Start Concurrent book looks interesting, thanks for the tip ... any reason that I shouldn't start out with that one?

Back