• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Berkeley Haas MFE pre program courses.

Hey guys, I am on the waitlist for the Berkeley MFE program and have completed all of my pre requisites except for the pre program courses. I am currently a graduate student doing my masters in computer science. Going to Haas would be an absolute dream, and so I enthusiastically completed all of the pre requisites, other than the pre program courses. However, now I see that the pre program courses would cost me $6000 for all three. This is not a small expense for me and I cannot justify taking out a loan to do a pre program course for a course I'm waitlisted for. I have a couple of questions regarding this situation. If I do not complete the pre program courses, am I forfeiting my waitlist position? Is it worth it to borrow money to pay for the pre program courses while I'm on a waitlist? Is there any way I can get these courses for a discounted price?

I have emailed the MFE admissions team already and received a boilerplate response.

I have spent already spent what I consider a large sum of money on acquiring certifications for some of the other pre-requisites. I'm at a loss and don't know what to do now.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Sincerely,
ketchup

Hey guys, I am on the waitlist for the Berkeley MFE program and have completed all of my pre requisites except for the pre program courses. I am currently a graduate student doing my masters in computer science. Going to Haas would be an absolute dream, and so I enthusiastically completed all of the pre requisites, other than the pre program courses. However, now I see that the pre program courses would cost me $6000 for all three. This is not a small expense for me and I cannot justify taking out a loan to do a pre program course for a course I'm waitlisted for. I have a couple of questions regarding this situation. If I do not complete the pre program courses, am I forfeiting my waitlist position? Is it worth it to borrow money to pay for the pre program courses while I'm on a waitlist? Is there any way I can get these courses for a discounted price?

I have emailed the MFE admissions team already and received a boilerplate response.

I have spent already spent what I consider a large sum of money on acquiring certifications for some of the other pre-requisites. I'm at a loss and don't know what to do now.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Sincerely,
ketchup
These courses are compulsory even for the admitted candidates ==> if you don't do these courses the probability of getting into Spring 2023 intake is 0.

You will get a $100 discount per course if you register before 21st October. For admitted candidates it's $1595, do ask them if you get admitted after passing these courses, will you get the difference back?? 1895 -1595 = $300. That is 900$ for all three.

It would've been better to have found cheaper alternatives for other pre-requisites (PDE, ML, C++ for example, from Coursera, etc.. ) as you cannot do the same for the pre-program course requirement.

Last edited:
Hi, I am taking the pre program courses starting next week. The number of the registered students is more than 120 people.
I am very excited to communicate with the incoming students! If there is a wechat or slack channel, let me join.
Thank you.

Back