• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Mechanical Engineering to Quant Researcher

I am a rising junior majoring in mechanical engineering, looking to go into quantitative research. I'd like to know what I should do to best prepare for such a career. I have a fundamental knowledge of computer science (probability, data structures, computer architecture, etc.) as I planned to get a Ph.D. in computational fluid dynamics. My resume is also built around applying for grad school.

Would it be feasible to land a job as a quant researcher with a Ph.D. in CFD? Or would I be better off taking additional courses and applying to a MFE?

Why do you want to get a PhD in CFD if you want to be a quant researcher? Why not do Applied Math, Statistics, or something more related? There's also a few Quantitative Finance PhD programs out there like Boston University and Stony Brook, which are both respectable universities. You may have to dig around on the internet to find other programs. I'm just confused why you would study CFD for 6 years only to work in an unrelated field where the only transferrable knowledge you've learned are general math, physics, and I'm guessing stochastic calculus/processes? I would think about it carefully if I were you.

Would it be feasible to land a job as a quant researcher with a Ph.D. in CFD?

Not at all.
I qualify: it is a great skill but not useful for finance, e.g. FEM is hardly even known, let alone used.

MechEng doesn't have (enough) relevant maths; it has maths methods kind of stuff minus (deep) analytical thinking.
Spend 4 years Maths and then MFE.

BTW don't you like CFD?

Last edited:
I'm a previous mechanical engineering undergrad and incoming MFE student this fall. I'd go the route of taking some additional courses and going for an MFE if your goal is quant research. Baruch offers Pre-MFE courses in probability and calculus (with financial applications) that were crucial for filling the gaps in my knowledge. Interview specific prep is massive as well -- starting to study leetcode, brain teasers, and the green book now will give you a big leg up.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the advice! With my BS in Mechanical Engineering, I assumed getting into a CFD program would be easier than a Master's in applied math or financial engineering (and from my understanding, quant firms tend to care about the prestige of the university you attend). However, now I know that jumping from CFD to Quant Finance isn't feasible. You're saying if I'm serious about getting into quant research, I need a master's/PhD in a more related field. What are the odds of someone with a background in MechE getting a master's applied probability or an MFE? I assume applied probability is more likely since applied math is related to Mechanical Engineering? I've already taken several extra courses in math and programming and have a math minor.
P.S. I do like Computation Fluid Dynamics (In fact, I enjoy most computational sciences). I'm just not too keen on the job prospects after the degree. Initially, I wanted to go into academia. However, now I understand more about the field, I don't think it's for me (it seems hellish).

Would it be feasible to land a job as a quant researcher with a Ph.D. in CFD?

Not at all.
I qualify: it is a great skill but not useful for finance, e.g. FEM is hardly even known, let alone used.

MechEng doesn't have (enough) relevant maths; it has maths methods kind of stuff minus (deep) analytical thinking.
Spend 4 years Maths and then MFE.

BTW don't you like CFD?
I know a few trading firms using FEM in their American option pricers. :) However, it's a fairly niche skill and you would likely not be hired just for it.

Back