Best undergraduate course selection

• Thread starter Thread starter T.H.
  • Start date Start date
So ive been lurking around the forums for a while now and it seems to me that most applicants to a financial engineering/financial math program have an undergraduate background that is very heavily based on mathematics. So my situation is I am a second year student doing a econ/finance degree, however this finance/econ degree doesn't really allow me to take courses such as real analysis, differential equations, statistical inference, applied time series analysis or applied multivariate statistical methods due to the high concentration of the degree. While I still will have a fairly rigorous mathematical background, I will be missing these courses. My school also offers a Mathematical economics degree that offers these course but of course if i take these courses I will be giving up a fair amount of finance courses, such as fundamentals of derivatives, advanced topics in finance and other finance courses which are restricted strictly for the econ/finance majors. Obviously I am planning on applying to Math/finance or Financial engineering program upon completion of my degree. My target is U of T math finance which requires a couple of the more math oriented courses such as real analysis and time series analysis. However they also strongly recommed that finance courses/ programming/econ (econ courses are not the problem ) courses are taken. I am a bit torn between the two options since they are very closely related and I find all the courses equally interesting, so what are your thoughts? should I:
a) stick with econ/finance major (will have calc 1 and 2, linear algebra 1 and 2, differential equations 1, econometrics, applied econometrics 1 and 2, econ stats, math stats 1 and 2) ?
b) switch to math econ major (will have have all the math courses listed at the start of my post and the ones listed in option a), but i will give up some finance courses) ?
c) do an extra year on top of my econ/finance major in order to be able to take all the courses mentioned at the start of the post ? (which i think will allow me to declare a minor in math)
or d) have nervous breakdown => drop out and go work at mcdonalds =D( haha )

p.s. im going to be taking programming courses during the summer in order to get a bit of experience since i have none, i was actually considering the baruch financial applications c++ online course that was advertised here, has anyone taken it yet ? if so, what are your opinions of it ?

Sorry for the long post I know it can be a bit tedious to read but your time and opinions will be much appreciated :D

Back