• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Black Scholes failing to solve near expiration

I am trying to calculate the implied volatility of equity options on expiration day. However, sometimes the iteration never converges on a solution. This occurs even when I manually set the starting guess close to the actual IV. I have tried Newton's and Halley's method and the same behavior occurs.

I was wondering if this behavior could be caused by the convergence method or just from the fact that it is difficult to price options close to expiration.

Run your code in whatever debugger you have. Near expiry the price of the option will be very close to intrinsic; your iteration is probably hitting a negative vol.

Use boundary checking, or use a method such a false position that keeps the iteration on a specified interval.

Back