• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Breaking into Quantitative Finance from IT

Howdy Quant Experts- current practitioners and True Gurus-Professors, Quant Recruiters and fellow Quant- wannabes!

I have been working in Information Technology for over 15 years now(the initial 3.5 years in Oilfield Services software development, thereafter about 11.5 years supporting various components/systems for order and trade management at a Financial Services IT vendor. I have a Bachelor's and Master's in Aerospace Engineering (BS from the Indian Institute of Technology,Bombay, India and MS from Texas A&M University) with a focus on Computational Fluid Dynamics. I am looking to make a switch to a career in quantitative finance and would really like to be able to benefit from your perspective.

How good is a diploma like a certificate in quant finance - has anyone made a transition from IT after getting a CQF or doing courses/self study in finance/math/and if required programming without going back to school full time?
Or, is going back to school for an MFE/an interdisciplinary PhD in finance, math & computing more useful?
I am 41- so I am wondering if age will be a factor ?

I would be encouraged to hear from others who have been successful in making this transition at a similar age - so if you did so or if you know of someone who made the switch - specially from IT- please share the experience

All input is sincerely appreciated!​

Last edited:
Back