Bsc dissertation topics

Hi , I am a third year pure maths undergraduate and I am still researching topics for my project.
I want to do a dissertation in something with Fourier transform because it is a topic I have studied heavily and apparently it will look really good if I pick a topic that I have studies before and apply it to a new topic I have not studied before.

I am more than happy to explore any other topics under financial maths.

I would be extremely grateful for any ideas and topics.
Thanks

Many thanks for your reply, I appreciate your help.
I love my FT's? :)
The only slight problem is my supervisor hates anything to do with stats or time series.

I was thinking about maybe doing something on the role of fourier transform and integrals in option pricing. i.e how it is used and what equations etc.. e.g expanding this http://www.math.nyu.edu/research/carrp/papers/pdf/integtransform.pdf
maybe..

Get another supervisor.
Too late now. Also believe it or not I have done a fair bit research on this whole option pricing stuff.
I have narrowed it down to either doing stuff on Ft and option pricing or doing stuff like binomial model or Heston etc...
Have to decide and make a start by Thursday. I got to caught up in thinking Ft could be directly compared to BS :(

Is looking at the role of Ft in option pricing too bad? I.e look at how all the equations of Ft fit in etc...I honestly have no idea what to go for:(

Last edited:
Yes.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com/forum/files/roelof_190.pdf
//
Just do a Monte Carlo + binomial method for CEV model, for example. Try early exercise if time allows. In C(C++), not Matlab.

Just do it ;)
ok mate that sounds good, I will do that :) Time to commit.
If it is ok with you, could I keep you updated in about a months time with a project plan?

just for old times sake, if you go on wiki under Heston model and scroll down to implementation, it says

"Information about how to use the Fourier transform to value options is given in a paper by Carr and Madan."
What do they mean by this? (just really curious to see how everything fits in :) )
Thanks so much for your help

Do you have any good papers you would recommend for monte carloe and binomial method for cev?
Why do you need both monte carlo and binomial?

You can try solving both BSM and Heston using FT for practice and see how well you can do it (direct integration method should take < 1w to program & test, assuming sufficient level of competence & good numerics libs for the integration & complex numbers).
See: http://pfadintegral.com/articles/option-pricing-formulae-using-fourier-transform/
(If this is the first time ever you're doing option pricing w/ FT, I'd ignore Sections 4.2-4.7 and anything to do w/ FFT. You can always revisit these later as "topics to explore", similarly to the following suggestions for the MC.)

If you decide to do MC, IMHO you should use parallel computing and/or variance reduction methods on top of it. Plenty of other topics to explore, like QMC or higher-order SDE discretizations. Unsure whether that would actually end up being an "easier" topic...

That being said, it'd be most interesting to do all of the above and compare the relative strengths / weaknesses across a variety of models & products; good luck! :)

Last edited:
You can try solving both BSM and Heston using FT for practice and see how well you can do it (direct integration method should take < 1w to program & test, assuming sufficient level of competence & good numerics libs for the integration & complex numbers).
See: http://pfadintegral.com/articles/option-pricing-formulae-using-fourier-transform/
(If this is the first time ever you're doing option pricing w/ FT, I'd ignore Sections 4.2-4.7 and anything to do w/ FFT. You can always revisit these later as "topics to explore", similarly to the following suggestions for the MC.)

If you decide to do MC, IMHO you should use parallel computing and/or variance reduction methods on top of it. Plenty of other topics to explore, like QMC or higher-order SDE discretizations. Unsure whether that would actually end up being an "easier" topic...

That being said, it'd be most interesting to do all of the above and compare the relative strengths / weaknesses across a variety of models & products; good luck! :)
Thanks for your help :)

Polter,
This is an undergrad student.

I am a little confused where you used "for" in " do Monte Carlo + binomial method for CEV model"
Aren't the Monte Carlo, binomial method and CEV separate models and each a direct alternative to BS?

- Models: Black-Scholes-Merton (BSM), CEV, Heston, etc.

- Numerical methods applicable to the aforementioned models: closed-form expression (as in the BSM model), numerical PDE/PIDE solution methods (finite difference methods, finite element methods), Fourier Transform (either using one of the direct numerical integration algorithms, or one of the wide variety of FFT algorithms), lattices & trees (like binomial, trinomial), Monte Carlo (involving SDE simulation using one of the various discretization algorithms).

Recommendation: Take a look at Chapter 7 (preferably up to & including--I think you'll need to anyway if you want to proceed with a project in quant finance) of Joshi's book:
http://www.markjoshi.com/concepts/

DD, perhaps you're right. I'm honestly unsure which of the paths will be "easier" (more suitable) for the OP, since it strongly depends on the individual's background. Arguably, with a good background in probability theory (and at least stochastic processes intro), the MC way may be the way to go (I still think it'd be somewhat underwhelming not to do parallelization in the 21st century). OTOH, with a background in Fourier analysis, real & complex analysis (which I expect to be a part of a standard pure math program at the undergrad level), using FT with direct integration (perhaps not FFT, that'd be a good fit for a typical CS or EE background) should be within grasp. In any case, numerical analysis & programming will come in handy either way, and I'd expect the time budget for the BSc project to include time for learning these skills as part of of the work on the dissertation. That, and the usual persistence, diligence, patience, and willingness to learn from failure ;-)

It also depends on the goals: If the OP wants to do the Heston model, then the (semi-)closed-form solution for the price in that _is_ essentially an FT, and so may be unavoidable (whereas writing, say, a _good_ PDE solver for that problem definitely won't be any easier, IMHO; MC (preferably non-naive; read: higher-order SDE discretization schemes, variance reduction and/or QMC) may be good for the V&V, though).

Last edited:
- Models: Black-Scholes-Merton (BSM), CEV, Heston, etc.

- Numerical methods applicable to the aforementioned models: closed-form expression (as in the BSM model), numerical PDE/PIDE solution methods (finite difference methods, finite element methods), Fourier Transform (either using one of the direct numerical integration algorithms, or one of the wide variety of FFT algorithms), lattices & trees (like binomial, trinomial), Monte Carlo (involving SDE simulation using one of the various discretization algorithms).

Recommendation: Take a look at Chapter 7 (preferably up to & including--I think you'll need to anyway if you want to proceed with a project in quant finance) of Joshi's book:
http://www.markjoshi.com/concepts/

DD, perhaps you're right. I'm honestly unsure which of the paths will be "easier" (more suitable) for the OP, since it strongly depends on the individual's background. Arguably, with a good background in probability theory (and at least stochastic processes intro), the MC way may be the way to go (I still think it'd be somewhat underwhelming not to do parallelization in the 21st century). OTOH, with a background in Fourier analysis, real & complex analysis (which I expect to be a part of a standard pure math program at the undergrad level), using FT with direct integration (perhaps not FFT, that'd be a good fit for a typical CS or EE background) should be within grasp. In any case, numerical analysis & programming will come in handy either way, and I'd expect the time budget for the BSc project to include time for learning these skills as part of of the work on the dissertation. That, and the usual persistence, diligence, patience, and willingness to learn from failure ;-)

It also depends on the goals: If the OP wants to do the Heston model, then the (semi-)closed-form solution for the price in that _is_ essentially an FT, and so may be unavoidable (whereas writing, say, a _good_ PDE solver for that problem definitely won't be any easier, IMHO; MC (preferably non-naive; read: higher-order SDE discretization schemes, variance reduction and/or QMC) may be good for the V&V, though).

Thank you for the reply, much appreciated.
Oh ok I understand, so do the binomial method then the monte carlo method for the CEV model for cross checking.
Sounds good, I am going to stick with this.

My background is loaded with pure math stuf i.e group theory, linear algebra , analysis etc...
And what I do have is a bucket load of tenacity and a real passion for the topic, combined with determination, I feel I can make a success of this. Also it is a very abstract topic for someone on my course so that will hopefully get me loads of marks.

Back